Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 300 savage info >

300 savage info

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 savage info

Old 07-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Spike

Default 300 savage info

Sorry for those that saw this in the classifieds, I meant for it to be in this forum. Looking at a remington 760 in 300 savage, but don't know anything about the round. What is it's performance like? I am familiar with 30-06 and 270's...where would this fit in? Is it a cartridge I could find in any backwoods sporting goods store??? Expensive to shoot compared to the more common rounds??? The gun looks clean and has a 3x9 Bushnell Banner scope with weaver mounts. Letters PAZ stamped on the barrel, anyone know what year that would be? The gun shop has had it for sale a long time and I think I could make a good offer and get it. Any thoughts on this gun and cartidge would be helpful.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 300 savage info

300 Savage is a great deer and bear round. It approaches the .308 in power.The cartidgehas a short neck so it has limitations in bullet sizes available. It was popular after WWII and a lot of rifles chambered for it should be still around. I'd guess you'd be able to find rounds for it in most small towns in deer country.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

Yououghta still be able to find ammo pretty easily and pretty cheap. I see alot of them in the PA deer woods. they are a good deer round. not quite a .30-06, but a great deer round.
-Jake
Old 07-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Spiff: The 300 Savage is a great deer cartridge and the one I chose for my daughter for that purpose. The recoil of the cartridge is very low and easy to reload. The best bullet weight is 150 gr and you can obtain about 2,600 fps. The Speer 14 manual lists the Savage at 2,590 fps with 41.5 gr of 4064 and the .30-06 load with the same bullet (150 gr) gains only 150 fps using 25% more powder! I ended up getting the Remington Classic which is still available (nib) for about the same cost as a 50 year old 760. Savage makes some bolt actions that look good too, although I have no experience with them. I would stay away from the old levers and pumps and go with a bolt action.

Good luck, CE
Old 07-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

You won't see 300 Savage ammo just any old place these days, but it once was a very popular round. It was first loaded to approximate the 30/'06 ammo of its day, with a 150-grain bullet at 2700 FPS MV. Today, it's down to 2650 or so, but still is nothing to sneeze at. It is closest in performance to the 308 WIN., which it resembles physically. A good little cartridge, for sure.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

We have a Model 99 lever action 300 Savage and it is one great gun. My wife is going on her first antelope hunt this year and she insists on shooting it as she is deadly accurate with it.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:28 AM
Spike

Any of you folks know what year this gun would have been mfg'd? The letter PAZ were stamped on the barrel and I'm curious what that means. I don't remember seeing where the swivel mounts were on the gun, it didn't have a sling attatched. It looks like original bluing as the engraving looks very crisp and clean. Does anyone know a link to tracking those letters for the year it was made?
Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

The 300 has been killing deer and elk since 1920, can't argue with that, its a fine deer round, and always will be.
Now about the used 760, it could be a gem ya never know, where is the sling swivel mounted? if mounted to the barrel it would be ok, but if mounted to the forearm ya better check it out good. the screw mounted swivel on the end of the forearm gradualy over time warps the slide bars from the weight of the rifle pulling on them from carrying the rifle slung over the shoulder. my own 1979 vintage 760 in 270 win suffered this and what happens is the action will sporaticly not lock shut. The lever that locks them is all the way up so the trigger will pull but its possible that the rifle will fire out of battery (bolt not fully closed) causing a catostrophic failure (busted case). they can be fixed but its something to look at.
RR
All of the model 760 300 Sav. were made with the original style mounting which had a lug brazed to the barrelthat held the end of the slidetube. This was a very solid connection and it was typical for gunsmiths of the day to tap and drill the end cap of the slide tube for a swivel stud. They never gave problems. In the mid 60's Remington, beginning with the BDL models,changed this connection to the free floating tube. Swivels mounted to the end of the forearms of these models gave the problems you mentioned.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know nothing about Remington 760s in 300 savage. The cartridge is a great deer killer without question. The Savage model 99 variants are awesome guns IMO, and I would not stay away from them altogether. You should look them over carefully though, as with any used gun. If you do find a good example and the gun fits your frame, this is a great gun.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Re: RE: 300 savage info

I have a 760 that wa made in 52. Its a fine little gun. Shoots 1.5-2 inch groups with the core lokts. I got a ton of stuff to reload for it with so Im sure I can knock that group soze down. If you are worried about its performance on deer... dont be.. its a good hammer. Good gun.. good cartidge. Deer are guaranteed to hate it.

I got my eye on one of those new Savage bolts in the 300 cal.

Quick Reply: 300 savage info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.