Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 O/U Vs. Semi-Auto for all purpose? >

O/U Vs. Semi-Auto for all purpose?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

O/U Vs. Semi-Auto for all purpose?

Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default O/U Vs. Semi-Auto for all purpose?

Well to start things off, I own an 870 express super mag and love the gun but I have this notion that i "need" another gun

Ive looked at o/u's and semi-autos, thought about 2 vs. 3 shots, reliability, function, action, uses, purpose, all sorts of stuff. And really I havent decided on anything at all and probably wouldnt get the gun for a while BUT...

For what its worth, what do you think would be a better suited gun for mostly upland and waterfowl hunting. I do shoot some clays but mostly it would be an upland and waterfowl gun. And pretty much thats about it.

So for a 12 gauge that will be seeing some ducks, geese, pheasant, quail, doves and possibly some rabbits, what action would better suit my purposes?

Thanks!

BHB
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: O/U Vs. Semi-Auto for all purpose?

For a general purpose hunting shotgun, I'd suggest a semi-auto. It'll give you 3-5 shots, and will afford you great flexibility for every variety of game. If it was going to be strictly a trap/skeet/upland bird gun, I'd suggest the o/u.

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since you throw the word "waterfowl" in, an O/U probably isn't ideal - though I've stopped carrying anything but my O/U for pheasants and grouse.

I'm not a big fan of semi-autos, though. I've not met one yet that wasn't finicky in some shape or form, whether it be ammo, climate, or maybe just the time of day? And, they're not thelightest things, either.Thus, I'd stick withyour currentslide-action.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

For a general purpose hunting shotgun, I'd suggest a semi-auto. It'll give you 3-5 shots, and will afford you great flexibility for every variety of game. If it was going to be strictly a trap/skeet/upland bird gun, I'd suggest the o/u.
Ditto what Mike said. Since ya just gotta have one, and left skeet/trap/sporting clays listed below actual hunting, have to pick the semi-auto.
With that said, IF pheasant and grouse were the main targets, I'd then choose the O/U, but with dove and waterfowl on the list, semi gets my nodd.
My Bennelli hasn'tmissed a lick in any conditions with any ammo.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been looking at the Stoeger 2000 and it gets pretty dang good reviews all the way around. AND it has the insides of a Benelli, for 400$ that might be my best bet. Although I really do like the look of the 11-87 Premier!

BHB
Old 06-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Decisions, decisions, isn't it fun be able to shop for a new gun!
Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I know that the Inertia Driven system is real good, but are there that many downsides to a gas operated gun?

BHB
Old 06-22-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

So I know that the Inertia Driven system is real good, but are there that many downsides to a gas operated gun?

BHB
Powder fouling + dirt + oil/water = sludge that will stop the gas system from working right. Gas operated shotguns need to be kept very clean to work reliably in extreme conditions.

What I found I like about my Stoeger 2000, with the Inertia action, is that as a function of how the action works the action actually locks up tighter immediately after firing. This seals the chamber very tightly and delays unlocking long enough to ensure that almost all the powder fouling goes out the muzzle, not back into the action. And since there is no gas system, the only part you have to worry about keeping clean is the receiver/bolt assembly. Gas guns have that AND the gas system to worry about. My Stoeger, to my pleasant surprise, actually stays cleaner than any pump gun I've ever owned because the initial ineria response forces the action to lock up so tightly.

My Stoeger is the best $400 I've ever spent on a shotgun. It's not as pretty as a Benelli, but it works just as good and cost 1/3 as much.

Mike
Old 06-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im hearing a lot of good things about the Stoegers!

Has anyone seen one with the wood stocks?

BHB
Old 06-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

ORIGINAL: Bullet Hole Bailey

BHB
Powder fouling + dirt + oil/water = sludge that will stop the gas system from working right. Gas operated shotguns need to be kept very clean to work reliably in extreme conditions.

What I found I like about my Stoeger 2000, with the Inertia action, is that as a function of how the action works the action actually locks up tighter immediately after firing. This seals the chamber very tightly and delays unlocking long enough to ensure that almost all the powder fouling goes out the muzzle, not back into the action. And since there is no gas system, the only part you have to worry about keeping clean is the receiver/bolt assembly. Gas guns have that AND the gas system to worry about. My Stoeger, to my pleasant surprise, actually stays cleaner than any pump gun I've ever owned because the initial ineria response forces the action to lock up so tightly.

My Stoeger is the best $400 I've ever spent on a shotgun. It's not as pretty as a Benelli, but it works just as good and cost 1/3 as much.

Mike
X2 One other really important thing about the inertia system is.....it's way easier to clean than any gas shotgun! I mean way easier to clean.

Quick Reply: O/U Vs. Semi-Auto for all purpose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.