HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   problem with scope/gun/me? Need advice... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/296326-problem-scope-gun-me-need-advice.html)

soulless 06-19-2009 10:46 PM

problem with scope/gun/me? Need advice...

Yes, I'm still a noob. Here is my problem. I trashed my original target so i drew one similiar to it. I own 2 Savage 93R17's. One BTVS and one in standard barrel. Both with accutrigger. Sighted both using hornady VMAX. Super accurate.

I figured shooting the CCI 20grain FMJ will just change the point of impact slightly lower since the buller is heavier. Instead it hit upper right. Shot it with both guns and about the same result. Loaded some VMAX and bullseye. BOTH sighted at 25yds. everytime. WTF? I used Hornady's trajectory calculator and i expected to see around the same results, but i was surprised...I'm gonna try to sight @ 25yd using the FMJ and then load both guns with the VMAX rounds and see what happens..

Scopes: Bushnell trophy 3-9-40, Tasco 4-14-40 1.5" from center of scope to top of barrel.

HEAD0001 06-20-2009 01:22 AM

RE: problem with scope/gun/me? Need advice...

No need to get excited about POI differences with different ammo. And there is definitely no way of knowing what load will hit high or low--until you shoot it. Faster loads can shoot higher or lower, and the reason has more to do with the shooter, than the ammo. Heck I have watched different people shot the same ammo to different POI's.

Barrel length, barrel weight, and recoli have a lot to do with POI. As well as individual shooting habits. In a lot of firearms a faster bullet will hit lower because it spends less time in the barrel, so the rifle is unable to recoil as high as the slower load.

Consider it a blessing when you find a firearm that shoots to the same POI with different loads. And when you find that you will normally find that rifle quality, and barrel stability have a lot to do with it, along with shooting form. Tom.

Howler 06-20-2009 05:33 AM

What he said along with the fact that bullets leaving the barrel at different speeds are leaving the barrel at a different harmonic point. In other words, your barrel vibrates every time you shoot it, so depending on what point of vibration the bullet leaves the barrel, the groups will go accordingly. That's why when a person handloads, one load/speed may spray bullets all over the place, but change the speed/load with the same bullet which will leave the barrel at a slightly different harmonic point, and whaa laa, same bullet different speed prints a tight little group. And thats' the reason that bull barrels typically are more accurate(less harmonic vibration), all other things being equal.

stubblejumper 06-20-2009 05:35 AM

Faster loads can shoot higher or lower, and the reason has more to do with the shooter, than the ammo.
Actually it has more to do with the barrel harmonics,and the position of the muzzle as the bullet exits the muzzle.If the bullet leaves the barrel at a point where the muzzle is pointed higher,the bullet strikes higher.If the bullet leaves the barrel at a point where the barrel points lower,the bullet strikes lower.

eldeguello 06-20-2009 08:31 AM

Heck I have watched different people shot the same ammo to different POI's.
This is what NORMALLY happens. It is rare for two people to shoot the same way with a particular zero!