Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 22. bullet fired in pocket >

22. bullet fired in pocket

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22. bullet fired in pocket

Old 06-19-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22. bullet fired in pocket

Dang I guess I will never again carry a pocket full of .22's when squirrel hunting. Never would have thought that possible. Glad you posted. You may end up saving a life.

So where did the bullet end up?

Tom
Old 06-20-2009, 02:54 AM

I had the video camera hoping to see some action,and had the 22. along in hopes of seeing a coyote.I'm okay but the weird thing is there wasa hole in my pants but the bullet and the shell were still in my pocket.
Old 06-20-2009, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

The bullet didn't have a barrel to direct all the gases in one direction to launch it. In other words, it went bang and all the gases went 360 degrees, hence not being able to "shoot" the bullet out of your pocket.
Wierd!! What name brand was the ammo.?
Old 06-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

that's why i was curious if the bullet exited your pants. someone told me 20 some odd years ago that if you were to heat up a bullet in a inclosed cardboard box that the bullet and the case would not exit the box when it shot off. i told him that he was full of crap, but maybe there is some truth to it. sorry MY BAD who ever it was.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:59 AM

I have had a lot of change in my pocket with a couple of AA batteries and had them heat up enough to burn me .Try it you will see enough heat to set off the 22.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just a couple of years ago there was a post on a predator hunting board where a guy had a box of pistol ammo. sitting on the dash of his vehicle while he was out hunting. When he got back to the truck, a couple of the shells had gone off, but for the most part, the box that the shells were in sustained the only damage.
It's obvious that putting any ammo. on the dash of a vehicle is asking for trouble because of the obvious heat factor that can occur. A guy has to be careful with ammo., and heat.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can tell you as a fact that whena .22 shellfires outside of a barrel the result is flying shrapnel from the case that would fly straight through any clothing or flesh nearby. If this really occured you are beyond extremely lucky thatyou do not have brass shell casings lodged deep in your leg or your femural artery which likely would have killed you before you got out of the woods.

JC
Old 06-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Fork Horn

after reading some more i got to thinking about it and realized that i had some 303 british shells out in the exploder with the windows up. the temp outside today was 106 degrees, making the interior aprox. 109-112 degrees. i also had a 22 shell(unshot)in the console. if none of them exploded or fired off in that heat then how hot was it in dayna0306"pocket? maybe the change in his pocket spread out and touched both ends of the battery which set off the 22? just my thoughts.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM

What name brand was the ammo.?
[/quote] It was Remington 550 hollow points. Yea dayna0306 the batteries were so hot I could'nt hold'em in my hand. I guess I was really lucky!!
Old 06-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

that doesnt make sence that a bullet would go off in a car. mythbusters tested it and they proved that heat alone would not set them off. at least not the heat inside a car, even on the hotest of days.

Quick Reply: 22. bullet fired in pocket

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.