Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Revolver Hunting Capability???? >

Revolver Hunting Capability????

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Revolver Hunting Capability????

Old 06-12-2009, 04:36 PM
Spike

Default RE: Revolver Hunting Capability????

In a Ruger you can run hot ammo, so as stated earlier try Buffalo Bore or possibly Garrett for truly stout factory ammo. But in my experience with .45 Colt I tend to think they might be a little light for elk. I would do what Homers Brother suggested and try it on deer first, then make your decision based on what you experience for yourself.
Either way, enjoy your new gun!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:58 AM
DM

I see you got answers all over the board, but to answer your origional question "as asked", that is about "factory" 45 colt ammo, then i lean on, NO.

Even the bullets are poorly designed for "hunting" in the factory 45 Colt ammo.

DM
Old 06-13-2009, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buffalo bore, Double Tap, Grizzlyand Corbon is "factory" ammo and is certainly capable of what he is asking.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made the deal with the guy on the Ruger Blackhawk. I had to sell a gun before I bought another one. With as tight as the economy is right now my wife would have chopped my nuts off if I took money out of the checking account to buy ANOTHER gun. He is out of town until Tuesday and I can pick it up then. Thanks for all the advice.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Revolver Hunting Capability!!!!

Since you don't reload, be SURE to use +P ammo such as Garret or Buffalo Bore. Cor-Bon is excellent ammo as well. The gun is up to it if you are. I'd want to stay within long bow range or closer for a good shot though.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:25 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

Since you don't reload, be SURE to use +P ammo such as Garret or Buffalo Bore. Cor-Bon is excellent ammo as well. The gun is up to it if you are. I'd want to stay within long bow range or closer for a good shot though.
Stalkingbear is right on the money here......I don't reload and I purchase my +P .45Colt from all of the above and none of them have let me down. You will be amazed at the bark the old .45Colt has when you stoke it with +P's. It really brings this old cartridge to life! Keep the range inside of 50yds and she'll do the job on any of the North American Big game.

Congrats on a fine revolver, they are built like a tank (weigh about as much too!)
Old 06-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I picked up 500 rounds of 45 LC last night in a trade. I don't have a 45 LC so I was thinking about buying one. Would a 45 LC be a good enough elk round at 50 yards? I'm talking factory ammo because I don't reload. I know a 454 casull we be good enough, I just know where there is a smoking deal on a 45LC.

Thanks Bryan
There is no comparison between a 454 Casull load and the standard factory loaded 45 COLT! The 454 is OK for elk at short ranges, but the 45 COLT standard 250-grain lead roundnose bullet at 850 FPS is not! Some of the heavy 45 COLT loads available are a different story.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Blackhawk!! I got it today. It's in the wrapper. He says it has a box and a half through it but you can't tell by looking. He also threw in a nice little uncle mikes holster and a box of brass. In the box with all the paperwork. All this for 300 bucks. I think I got a heck of a deal. I get to shoot it tomorrow. I think I will be fine for elk with the right ammo at close range. Thanks for all the input!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

.45 LC for elk at 50 yards is okay...but a .223 on deer isn't...
Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

.45 LC for elk at 50 yards is okay...but a .223 on deer isn't...
I did some homework and there are some really good rounds for the 45 that will be fine for elk at close range. As far as .223 for deer that's up to you. I would want a .243 or better buta .223 is legal in some states, so if it's legal, more power to you!

Quick Reply: Revolver Hunting Capability????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.