Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New barrel break in >

New barrel break in

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New barrel break in

Old 06-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New barrel break in

ORIGINAL: sauer06

Thx for all the help guys, I will not be useing those abrasive bullets but I will clean it after every other round for the first 10 or 20 rounds.
Just be careful and don't over clean like stated before...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:46 AM

I'm sold... I'm just gonna' pee in my barrels from now on... this explains why I can't hit the broad side of a barn, those darn evil spirits setting on my bullets whilst in flight... a good hosing with pee pee should do it!

I really liked that story eldequello-
Old 06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Savage Arms website has a barrel break in procedure listed you can print out. There are different philosphies on this. I break in all my new rifles. If I buy a used rifle, the first thing I do is clean the bore good with JB compound.
What breaking in does is removes all the minor defects in the bore, minute burrs etc. that can trap fouling - resulting in poor accuracy down the road as this fouling builds up.
Breaking in a new barrel will not make the rifle shoot any better. But it definately will make it easier to clean.
I tell everyone - Its your hard earned money that bought the rifle, so do what you think is best. BTW - the Tikka is a nice rifle and should shoot good for you.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like others I have tried different "break in" procedures and honestly never found much difference. The first thing I do is clean the firearm completely before firing, this includes a very light lap of the boreof a factory barrel with JB. On the range no need for stacked groups, 3 shots max but I prefer the first range session to shoot 1 or maybe 2 then let it come to ambient before shooting again. Since your first range session is about sighting in and getting use to the new tool, there is little need to concern yourself at this point about groups or finding the right load IMO. AMy intial range session is often 10-12 shots. I then fully clean the bore, including copper cleaning and another light pass of JB's if I think it needs it. My second range session pretty much mirrors range session one, keep the heat down by going slow. Another full cleaning and now I start looking at potential s for accuracy and loads. I have cleaned my rifles after every range session for years and no problems of excess copper fouling, I found I don't need to brush it as often as leaving it for a few.A bore guide &1 piece coated or carbon fibre rod are essentials IMO.