Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .22 recomendations >

.22 recomendations

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 recomendations

Old 06-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .22 recomendations

well i see the postings have gone astray..[like always] the PERSONasked ADVICEfor a.22 rifle recomendationfor his 10 year old daughter .what she needs is a single shot ,bolt action ,light weight rifle . she does not need a .22 mag or 17HMR or a semi-auto ..

keep it simple and enjoy
Old 06-08-2009, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

And from what I've seen, that's precisely what he's been given.

And why so you think that it's so important that it's a single shot, or that it's not a semi-auto? I started shooting my dad's .22 when I was 6 (and I doubt that at 6 I was any bigger than she is at 10), and it was a semi-auto Mossberg that fed from a tube magazine in the stock (don't know the model). Dad would load it up, hand it to me and stand there while I shot the whole magazine out. I mentioned the Model 93 17HMR only to illustrate that Savage makes a fine rimfire, but apparently reading comprehension isn't your strong suit. The Mk II is a bolt action, magazine fed, .22LR repeater. Of course, nothing says that he can't load it one round at a time for her when she's first starting out, but if it's to be HER rifle, she will soon outgrow a very tiny single shot like a Cricket and want (need, really) a bigger, more capable, rifle. She's 10 years old, which means that unless she's very small for her age she's more than big enough to handle a carbine length rimfire. The MK II has a 21" bbl, is 39" long and only weights 5 lbs. We're not talking about a full sized deer rifle here.

Mike

Old 06-08-2009, 05:01 AM

For your daughter... Marlin 15 Little buckaroo

For you... CZ 452(various options), Savage MkII

If you get a youth model your daughter will enjoy it but you will suffer, and if you get a full sized(CZ or Savage) your daughter will suffer.

I would get one she could shoot comfortably and you can just put up with it.

Ahhh what we do for our children.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a Savage MKII would be my choice for a low cost/good .22LR shooter.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

Rem 597, Marlin model 60 (my fav) or the ruger 10/22. All will work. all are cheap.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd give another vote for the Savage Mk II. I have an older one (without the accu-trigger) and have put literally thousands of rounds through it. In high school I used to drill groundhogs in the head at 75+ yards no problem. It's the most accurate .22 I've ever shot and it is a very good bargain. Bolt-action is the way to go IMO (or single shot) when teaching a youngster how to shoot. Semi-auto is great, but not for beginners just learning gun safety.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

did u read the posting ???? she is only 10 YRS. OLD

Yeah!But a girl probably ain't gone blast off a clip in 2 seconds!And if she happend to miss the first shot,she's got another one right behind it!I'v needed that second shot when hunting!So heres a little tip,don't git TRIGGER HAPPY!And I can shoot a bolt,pump,lever action almost as fast as an automatic!
Old 06-12-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Savage MII Cub:
Youth sized stock.
Accutrigger
Single shot bolt action.
Peep sight.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:59 AM
Typical Buck

i think the 10/22 would be a great choice for a starter gun. Some people are getting wrapped up in the fact that it is a semi-auto. I'm sure when she is learning she is going to be supervised, so just give her one round at a time. Presto-chango! now the 10/22 is a single shot!

Quick Reply: .22 recomendations

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.