Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope And Ring Question?? >

Scope And Ring Question??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope And Ring Question??

Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope And Ring Question??

How close do you prefer your scope to your barrel? I like mine as close as they can get without touching. The other day I was at Sportsmans and I settled forthe ringsthey had in stockand my scope is farther away from the barrel than I prefer. (between a 1/4" and a 1/2") How far from the barrel before it starts to affect your shot? How does it affect your shot?

Thanks Bryan
Old 06-05-2009, 01:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope And Ring Question??

I don't think that much will affect the accuracy,But it is mostly about the "Cheek Meld" on the rifle stock when you are getting your sight picture.The higher the scope the harder to get the correct sight picture.Personally I like mie to be as close as possible without touching .Just able to get a little blonde juju hair between them.I may be wrong but then again it is JMHO.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Fork Horn

I like my scope as close to the barrell as I can get it. Like said abovethe cheek rest lines up well for a good sight picture. also I think that it makes the line of sight from scope and the bullet actual path closer where they cross for better accuracy down range just my opinion.

chris
Old 06-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated by the previous posters I like to have very little space between barrel & scope objective bell. That means mounting it as low as possible. Another thing is I don't like over 40mm-42mm objective lens in a hunting scope, the 50mm-56mm scopes just have to be mounted too high & still retain good cheek weld-for me anyway & I'm a big guy.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

That kind of depends on factors such as: stock design and specs, your own physical configuration and cheek weld limitations, etc. Personally, I like them close but I have a Sako 75 (for instance) that's a smidge taller (5-6 mm) but works fine due to the monte carlo stock.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

ditto.

As low as possible. Just ordered a Rem. CDL and going to put a 3.5X10X40 on it and hoping to use Leupold low rings.
It'll be close, but the objective should clear the barrel. Just a little worried about the bolt hitting the eyepiece when the bolt is raised. Called Remington and they said it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

As low as physically possible may not be the best place to mount a scope. Stock design, the size of someones head, the distance from their shoulder to their eye, etc... etc... may mean that person #1 would be better off with medium or high rings while person #2 may be better off with extra low or low rings regardless of how large the objective lens is.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

The most notable problems with high mounted scopes show up when you are shooting up very close. Because the angle between bullet path and line of sight is more dramatic the tendency to shoot too low is common. See it all the time shootin pds.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

As low as physically possible may not be the best place to mount a scope. Stock design, the size of someones head, the distance from their shoulder to their eye, etc... etc... may mean that person #1 would be better off with medium or high rings while person #2 may be better off with extra low or low rings regardless of how large the objective lens is.
I tend to agree. I prefer my scopes a bit higher because they fit me better that way.
Old 06-08-2009, 06:04 AM

If the centerline of your scope is... let's say 1.3" above the centerline of your rifles bore, then the center of your eye must be the same.

Not contingent to comfort, but to necessity. Your cheek should be in a firm press upon the stock as to inhibit any movement during recoil.

At this 'weld' you should not be able to move your eye from the centerline of the scope easily... it should be next to impossible to do this.

Quick Reply: Scope And Ring Question??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.