Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 600 308??? >

Remington 600 308???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 600 308???

Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 600 308???

I may be picking one of these up tomorrow. I think I'm paying to much but he said it is a 9 out of ten and almost like new. If it is in as good as shape as he says it is I'm bringing it home. It looks like a beauty in the pics. This one is not a Mohawk. Does anyone have any experience with these? How did it shoot? Any thoughts?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington 600 308???

The 600 is the predecessor to the 673, my guntrader lists it as nib $660, vg $532 and gd at $369
Old 06-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm paying $400. I'll be glad to spend that much if it is really 9 out of 10 and it shoots pretty good groups. Does anyone have any experience shooting one? It is the one with the vented rib.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

I may be picking one of these up tomorrow. I think I'm paying to much but he said it is a 9 out of ten and almost like new. If it is in as good as shape as he says it is I'm bringing it home. It looks like a beauty in the pics. This one is not a Mohawk. Does anyone have any experience with these? How did it shoot? Any thoughts?

I've got one in a 6mm and it's a shooting machine. Decent factory trigger (not great but good enough to hunt with) and a nice smooth action. It's my favorite coyote gun.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't like the gosh-awful rib and gut-hook front sight. Other than that the 600 is OK.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:26 AM

A friend of my father-in-law had one, which I had a chance to shoot briefly.
I wasn't trying to shoot groups, just plinkly at a few cans. So I don't have a real opinion on accuracy, but even the owner said it was only average. If I remember correctly, he said something about 1 1/2 - 2 groups.

I do know that the thing is god awful ugly. The recoil was more than I expected, based on other 308's that I shot, but not terrible. The worst part was probably the muzzle blast from the short barrel.

Overall I wouldn't buy one, but they do seem to have a following.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:48 AM
Spike

That was my first new rifle, even in .308. My Dad bought it for me back about 1967 or '68. They had a poor sales record back then and my Dad picked it up for $59 from a little shop that wanted to just get it off the shelf. I still have it and use it. It's also the firstrifle I started reloading for. I shot alot of deer and elk with it. It still draws some attention when I carry ithunting or bring it out at the range. Mine really likes 165 grain bullets. It's my go-to gun when I hit the brush where most shots are less than 50 yards here in Southwest Washington.

MIne currently has a peep sight rear and original front sight. I have used a scope in the past and will probably put another one on in the near future (darned eyes). The sight plane of the peep sight is actually to low for me to use comfortably, but I have learned to work around that. I only site it in at 100 yards with both the scope and peep sight.

There was a trigger/safety recall back in the '70s(?) due to accidental firings. One way to see if the recall was performed is to look at the trigger. If it's gold colored, the recall probably wasn't performed. If it's black you should be OK, but you may want to see if Remington's site still has the recall site up.If still up and running they should be able toverify with the serial number. Of course, a call to them wouldn't hurt either.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to pick it up this morning.(60 mile round trip)The guy had it advertised as a 9 out of 10. It was more like a 5 out of 10. The stock had water damaged and had been recently stained. (not refinished, just stained) It had rust pits on the bolt handle and was just not in that great of shape. Obviously it didn't come home with me.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:03 AM

Why do people falsely describe their products like that...
Don't they know you will eventually see what they're selling.
Just seems that it would save everyone a lot of headaches if they sellers would just be up front about what they have.

In this case, a rifle is fair to poor condition is obviously not a 9 out of 10 unless he's a junk dealer to begin with.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: popeye

Why do people falsely describe their products like that...
Don't they know you will eventually see what they're selling.
Just seems that it would save everyone a lot of headaches if they sellers would just be up front about what they have.

In this case, a rifle is fair to poor condition is obviously not a 9 out of 10 unless he's a junk dealer to begin with.
I think some people would just purchase it anyway. They said they would buy it. They drive to pick it up. They get there and it is notas described. They either have to call them on it and put the fault on the seller or they just buy it, not to have any conflict.

Quick Reply: Remington 600 308???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.