Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Holy A-Bolt! >

Holy A-Bolt!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Holy A-Bolt!

Old 05-31-2009, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Holy A-Bolt!

I have always been a Remington 700 fanatic. However I own a bunch of different brand of rifles.(but most are 700's) I went out today and shot my A-bolt 30.06 after a trigger job and I was very happy. After my second shot at 100 yards I was a little worried because I wasn't on paper. Then my buddy on the spotting scope told me my second shot was right on top of the first. After a shooting it for a while after that, I was one happy camper.

Stalkingbear, I still love my 700's, but damn you your right about the A-bolts.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:01 PM

Default RE: Holy A-Bolt!

I have shot a 30-06 A bolt for many years with excellent results. I just bought a stainless stalker in the same caliber and will retire my old one to the safe with many fond memories.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 AM

We might convert you yet
Old 06-01-2009, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

I''ve owned and do own about a dozen or so Remington 700's in various cartridges.. love em' and have never had a problem with any of them.. about 5 years ago a local gunshoppe was closing the door and had two A-bolts in left handed that no one seemed interested in, a 7mm mag and a .338 wm.. the owner wouldn't sell me one, had to be both.. I believe it was $350 each but it may have have been $300 each... either way I couldn't pass them up.. after proper barrel break in the both shot an inch or better.. I haven't bad mouthed any A-bolts since.. they will shoot and I love the short bolt movement and the internal clip.. I'd buy another in a second.. great rifles.. any time I'm big game hunting they are the first I reach for these days... can't go wrong and I'd highly reccomend them.. SWEET !!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have never had a problem getting an A-Bolt or a 700 to shoot accurately.However,I prefer almost any other magazine system to the A-Bolts over designed abortion of a magazine system.Apparently many other people must agree,since Browning did away with this magazine on the new X-Bolt.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I have never had a problem getting an A-Bolt or a 700 to shoot accurately.However,I prefer almost any other magazine system to the A-Bolts over designed abortion of a magazine system.Apparently many other people must agree,since Browning did away with this magazine on the new X-Bolt.
I haven't even loaded the mag yet. I'll have to check it out. All I know is for a guy that don't shoot that good, I was getting some pretty impressive groups. It almost looked like I knew what I was doing.

I bought a older Savage 30.06 yesterday. I had every intention of doing a trigger job on it and selling the A-Bolt. (Ican alwaysuse the cash) I am so glad I went to the range again before I made that decision. I think the A-Bolt is a keeper.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Luckydog, what kind of work did you do to the trigger? I changed the spring in mine and did a little clean and polish on the yoke a couple of years ago. Made a lot of difference.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sent it to the GS and them set it to 3lbs.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad you like your A-bolt Colorado Luckydog. Now you see why I like them so much. Congrats! I have 3 now and am going to add another soon-either another A-bolt or an X-bolt.