Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 proper choke for rifled slug >

proper choke for rifled slug

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

proper choke for rifled slug

Old 05-02-2003, 08:05 AM

Default proper choke for rifled slug

What choke tube is the best to use with rifled slugs? Right now I have 3: full, modified, and improved.

More importantly, what choke(s) should I NOT use?
Old 05-02-2003, 08:49 AM

Default RE: proper choke for rifled slug

stogieboy...

i would have to sau get a rifled choke. but to get the best out of a rifled slugs is to use a rifled barrel.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:51 AM

I thought you weren' t supposed to use rifled slugs in rifled barrels?
Old 05-02-2003, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You aren' t suppose to shoot rifled slugs through a rifled barrel unless you really enjoy removing lead fouling and not hitting the broad side of a barn. For rifled slugs most manufacturers recommend either an improved cylinder or a modified. Most actually recommend against using a full choke.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:36 PM

Is there a benefit to using either one?

Thanks for the info.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:40 PM

why' s that frizz?

i find that when i shoot rem led sluggers and brenneke' s 2.75 slugs out f my rifled barrel i get 2" - 3" groups at 50yds?which is good enough for my hunting needs under 75yds.
maybe if you are shooting past 100yds that might be try but i find them to work great out of my rem 1100 with a 21" rifled barrel.
Old 05-02-2003, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

foster style slugs= no choke and a smooth barrel .............................................. sabot slugs = no choke and a rifled barrel............................................ ..............
Old 05-02-2003, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

With any slug the more open choke you have the better your accuracy will be. Tighter chokes deform the slug and effect accuracy for the worst. Improved cyl is what I use.

You can shoot rifled slugs out of rifled barrel or rifled choke, but they aren' t made for that. Some guns will give you better accuracy, I used to use rifled slugs in a rifled barrel for practice because they are cheap. But you have to clean it like you would a muzzleloader, it' s very dirty and you won' t get much better accuracy than with a smoothbore. Rifled barrels and rifled chokes are made to shoot sabot slugs.

All brands of rifled slugs will shoot different in each gun. Find which brand shoots best in your smoothbore. Some guns will pattern very accuratly but will hit where the sights aren' t lookin, if that is the case, you need to either get rifled sights or a scope. Or just use kentucky windage.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooting a rifled through a rifled barrel sort of defeats the purpose. I would bet you are losing more velocity and accuracy due to pressure loss, gas cutting and extra friction than you would if you shot them from a smoothbore. Maybe you should try sabot slugs out of your rifled barrel and see how your groups are.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can shoot RIFLED SLUGS THROUGH ANY CHOKE but the cylinder bore is the best for accuracy.....the more you choke the barrel the lesser becomes the chances for good accuracy.

Quick Reply: proper choke for rifled slug

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.