Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hornady Light Magnum rounds >

Hornady Light Magnum rounds

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hornady Light Magnum rounds

Old 05-23-2009, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hornady Light Magnum rounds

Howdy guy's,Had a member here P.M. me.He was asking if it was alright to shoot Hornady Light Magnums in a Reminton 7600.I think 100 grainers.Said they were recomended for "Fixed Breach firearms Only".I did not want to give him bad info or cause a problem with the rifle not knowing howhot they load the light mags.I would think they would still keep the cup down enough for just about anything 'cept maybe an old custom rig made out of a not so strong military action.Thanks for the help and let's get this guy on the right track.........................Alton
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hornady Light Magnum rounds

If I were him, I'd pop Hornady an email...That way he gets it straight from the horses mouth...
Old 05-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Light mags might cause problems with semi autos but should be fine in other actions.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:17 AM

+1 on the contact Hornady and ask them.
I don't think it would cause a problem, but ask to be sure.

HORNADY TECHNICAL INFORMATION 1-800-338-3220
Old 05-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Yes...bolt action or hinge action guns only. Semi-auto might have problems....that statement on the box is a disclaimer in case something were to happen with a semi...then they won't be liable for damages.

They are some hot rounds...more recoil for sure. My gun didn't like them.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this doesn't help YOUR situation much, but I've tried them in several different cartridge sizes in some of my rifles, and like the other poster said, they didn't group up to my satsfaction. These were all bolt action guns..........
Old 05-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the Ridge said don't do it .DON'T DO IT.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the "warning"is meantfor semi-auto's. However as a reloader I agree with ridge runner and would worry about excess pressure for the 7600.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I see little reason to shoot these light mags, unless they shoot more accurately. Perhaps in some instances, but for the most part I find loads that work in remington or federal that do just fine.

With bullets from other manufacturers with higher BC, often they'll overtake the energy of these light mags down range...

Old 05-25-2009, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Personally I see little reason to shoot these light mags, unless they shoot more accurately. Perhaps in some instances, but for the most part I find loads that work in remington or federal that do just fine.

With bullets from other manufacturers with higher BC, often they'll overtake the energy of these light mags down range...
Yep me too.Some of if not the most accurate rounds I have ever shot were some .243 loaded with a Lee Loader using their data and measure.Thesewere always on the down size of the scale .Shot them through a Rem.788,$79.00 Tasco scope .Used 100 grain Hornady B.T.S.P.,Deadly accurate and deadly on deer.But then again I still want some kind of 6 mm that will run one about 8 million F.P.S.

Quick Reply: Hornady Light Magnum rounds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.