Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Moly Coated Bullet >

Moly Coated Bullet

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Moly Coated Bullet

Old 05-20-2009, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moly Coated Bullet

So, I have a old Savage 30.06 that has been shot quite a bit. I have been thinking about shooting Moly Coated Bullets through it. I have never shot a Moly and have read a lot of mixed reviews on them. Since my Savage still shoots straight but has some wear on the bore, I was wondering what yall think. Once I start shooting the Moly Coated Bullets, I pretty much cant go back. From what I have read, the Moly will fill in any imperfection in the barrel and may improve accuracy. I plan on getting a new 30.06 this year and was thinkng about using the Savage as a tester rifle. I dont think the Moly will ruin the rifle, I just need some advice from folks that know enough about Moly to give advise. Thanks.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moly Coated Bullet

About the only conceivable reason to use moly bullets is if you are a competitive shooter who needs to fire 100+ rounds through a rifle on a match day and don't have time to clean in between. The moly reduces fouling and reduces drop off in accuracy from fouling. The downside is that its difficult to remove from a barrel and can cause corrosion by drawing moisture from the air.

There isn't a single good reason that I can think of to use moly in a hunting rifle.