Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Refinishing rifle stock >

Refinishing rifle stock

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Refinishing rifle stock

Old 05-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Refinishing rifle stock

Hey,

I've spent the last two weeks stripping and sanding my stock, and I'm about to pick the oil to finish it with. Do you suggest BLO or Tung Oil? I've heard Tung Oil takes longer to get done right, but offers superior waterproofing, any truth to that? I'm not interested in using Spar Varnish or anything that will give me a "Weatherby Finish" [8D] What do you prefer and why? Thanks,

Cory
Old 05-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Refinishing rifle stock

This is the best stock finish I have ever seen or used.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7785&title=PERMALYN%20STO CK%20FINISH%20&%20SEALER

The sealer penetrates extremely deep into the wood and when finished you get a rock hard satin finish that resists scraches and looks amazing. To do it right it takes several applications of wet sanding with the sealer as the "wet"to fill the pores and then the finish itself but the results are worth it if you are willing to take your time.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

This is the best stock finish I have ever seen or used.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7785&title=PERMALYN%20STOCK%2 0FINISH%20&%20SEALER

The sealer penetrates extremely deep into the wood and when finished you get a rock hard satin finish that resists scraches and looks amazing. To do it right it takes several applications of wet sanding with the sealer as the "wet" to fill the pores and then the finish itself but the results are worth it if you are willing to take your time.
That looks good, however, they say they won't ship to the Great White North.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang, what a crock.It didn't dawn on me that you were in Canada when I suggested it.Iwonder what laws Canada has concerning this type of finish.

A close second is Pro Custom Oil.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=5531&title=PRO-CUSTOM%20OIL%20GUNSTOCK%20FINISH
Old 05-21-2009, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've used both Tung and Blo many times and really don't have a preference.
Tung- gives a nice clear somewhat hard finish. It dries fairly fast.
BLO- dries fairly slowly. May take a dozen or more applications. turns the wood a reddish color, isn't very water resistant. It smells good. When I have a BLO finished stock I apply a slurry of Beeswax/lemon oil over the top (can't rememebr the brand name of the stuff, I'll have to look).

Old 05-21-2009, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like Tru-Oil. It is linseed with drying agents included. Tung oil will turn white if it gets wet.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Inactive

BB :It isn't Canada, it's Brownelle's that wont ship to Canada.

Eld: I have done a number of stocks with Tung Oil, and I have had these stocks out in rain and snow. I've never experienced this "whitening" that you refer to. Perhaps it's just that I have been lucky.

Kona: As previously mentioned, I have done a number of rifle and shotgun stocks with a satin finish tung oil ( Formby's ), and usually give the stocks anywhere from 10 to 12 coats. I have found the finish to be durable and attrasctive, leaving the stocks with a nice sheen, but not a reflective one. It is easy to apply and can be done over a fairly short period of time.

x-mountie
Old 05-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice everyone, I'm heading to the big city of Thunder Bay next week, so I'll look around and see what I can find.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a mixture of both tung oil an linseed oil. I use 1 tsp of tung, 1 tsp of linseed and 1/2 tsp of japan drier. Allow 24-48 hrs in between coats and wet sand every 2-3 coats. After wet sanding use a tack rag to remove any dust or lint before applying next coat. I find that this mix provides a nice depth without the glossy look of just tung and without the dull look of just linseed. I have done several of my own wood stocks and several of my friends and all look great without any problems with moisture. I would suggest trying each on a piece of scrap wood and see which you like better.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

i dont think i will ever mess with oil and hand rubbed finishes again unless its a rifle i dont intend to use much...

i used a satin spray spar urethane on this 9422 stock...

SIMPLE to use...quick...and i think it turned out very nice....

original wood....

was beat to heck and back...bare wood in some spots...scratched, dented, dinged etc....

not trying to sway your opinion...just think that it turned out great in about 1/20th of the time....i really had no time at all involved in that stock...sprayed stripper on it...sanded it a little and hung the pieces and sprayed them...steel wooled between coats and resprayed...think 3 coats are on there...

made me happy....thanx to whomever recommended it on here!!

Quick Reply: Refinishing rifle stock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.