Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Hi Point Polymer Frame pistols >

Hi Point Polymer Frame pistols

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Hi Point Polymer Frame pistols

Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Hi Point Polymer Frame pistols

Considering buying a semiauto handgun. I'm not a range or target shooter enthusiast. Just something for protection. Would like some input about these pistols. I see they are cheap. What about quality?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hi Point Polymer Frame pistols

I'm going to get flamed by the hi-point "dudes" for this but I would STRONGLY suggest saving your money and buying a "real" gun. They're made of pot metal (slide) and are blowback operated instead of being recoil operated. They're also a PIA to field strip, requiring a roll pin be pushed out while holding the slide back. I've had a BUNCH of people want me to work on them since some people would rather have their guns fixed right there instead of being sent off to the factory for repair (a trust thing apparently).

Having said that, they do offer a lifetime warranty and if you happen to get a good 1, it'll be pretty reliable & accurate. Just don't expect to get the same level of performance or lifespan as say a 1911 or Glock for example.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the reply.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

I have a hipoint 9mm. I bought it just to have something in the yota. Like stalkingbear said they are pot pistols but mine has never jammed. But if I were you I would save or put the 100 dollars down on lay a way for a nicer pistol. You can get a S&w sigma for 379, Bersa for 280$, or even a Taurus which I'm not to fond of.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

For protection? A HiPoint?

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
Old 05-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Is it something you really wanna trust your life to? No. That being said I have a few hi-points that I got in trade for either work or stuff that I just didn't want or need. They have all shot and worked well. No Jams....even if it did jam it's big enough to use as a club. If you are actually buying for self-defense, I would not get a hi point. But if you want something cheap to just plink around with, go for it...the lifetime warranty is nice too.
-Jake
Old 05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hi Point? OMG... Run. Run far away. [:'(]

My brother-in-law (a LEO) has told me about Hi Point handguns. They are popular with the gang bangers because, well, they're incredibly cheap.

I wouldn't trust one for anything. Save your money and buy a nice reliable handgun that full function 100% of the time.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-20-2009, 05:41 AM

I'd honestly stay away from a Hi-Point.Ever watch"The First 48"?The gang banging murderers' weapon is always a .380 or 9 mm Hi-point.It's a Saturday night special.Save a couple of months and get quality,accurate pistol.Just my opinion.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you ever have to use it self defense shoot it until it jams, throw it at the intruder, then run like hell..... Save your money and get something decent. I got this H&K USP 40, 500 rounds, and two extra magazines from my brother in law. He bought it from the estate of his old boss that passed away. I gave my brother in law what he paid for it. $400. The gun alone is worth about $750-$800.

Quick Reply: Hi Point Polymer Frame pistols

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.