Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 accuracy vs inexpensive ammo >

accuracy vs inexpensive ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

accuracy vs inexpensive ammo

Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: accuracy vs inexpensive ammo

If working 12 hour days and spending my spare time with my grandkids is considered living under a rock, then I guess i'm guilty.

What's so important about Nov. 11 ? If you are refering to the presidential election, I thought that was Nov 4th.

I have read that the ammo supply was low due to people buying up all they could. But why? Are they afraid that Obama is going to stop ammo from being produced or sold? Is it really a supply and demand issue or is there some other underliying problem?

I'm just asking because I don'tunderstand it.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 AM

I just figured I'd put my 2 cents in here as well. Sometimes more expensive ammo will shoot more accurately-sometimes not. It's not worth the price anymore to shoot premium factory ammo IMO. I have a hard enough time seeing myself purchasing premium bullets for handloading when I can shoot for less with Core-Lokts
Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Warren...Prices started up about 3 years ago as China developed and the price of metal increased...
I bought 8 boxes of CoreLokts for my .243 at that time for $11.88 and there was plenty avaliable...Now CoreLokts from the same store are $18.98 if you can find them...

Once Obama took office all sorts of rumers started flying, ammo was going to only last 2 years and go bad, Obama is taking away guns, taxes on ammo will skyrocket, etc...

So many shooters started buying ammo to have it stored away...I'm not talking about a couple of hundred rounds...I've heard some guys say where they had several thousand rounds stuck away...

The result is a shortage on ammo, primers, powder, bullets, reloading equipment, etc...There is quite a bit of price gouging going on as well...

That's my take on it from down here in NC...
Old 05-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try the ol blue blox Federals. Ive killed damn near a train car load of deer with them.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I only buy premium ammo for the bullet. Sometimes there is an accuracy improvement with the premium ammo, but again, I think that has more to do with the bullet than anything else. I prefer the Federal Fusion bullets, because they do an awesome job in weight retention based on my experience last year, but most of the time I will shoot Core Lokts or whatever I can get on sale.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:24 PM

Hey... Just get yourself some Hornady ammo, if your gun will tighten up with factory ammo, this stuff will probably help it along. 130gr SST or Interbond. You might save a buck or two if you get the BTSP.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I just recently purchased a new .270 Win and I plan on buying a box each of 130gr Power Point, Core Lokt and Federal Blue Box. I'll run each box through the rifle and will use whichever groups tightest for deer hunting. I just don't need premium bullets for deer or antelope....

Now, when elk is on the menu, I'll try 150gr Fusion, Partition, Grand Slam, Trophy Bonded, Triple X and whatever else I can find. I'll use what shoots best, but will be happy to pay the extra $$$$ for the premium bullets when hunting critters bigger and tougher than deer.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Warren,
If you haven't adjusted the trigger down on your Savage, I bet you could shrink that 2 inches down to at least
1 1/2 inches by easily turning your trigger down to 2-3 pounds. I like my trigger even lighter than that. I bought a Tikka a while back, and the first thing I did was turn the trigger down. The triggers on the Savage and the Tikka are very good.

C. Davis
Old 05-25-2009, 09:33 PM

I have a Winchester M70 in .280 Rem. that loves Remington Core-Lokt bullets. It will put 5 rounds in a 1" group at 100 yards. I tried many different types of ammo and that was what the gun liked the best. Some of the others I tried were Hornady,Winchester,Federal, and some reloads from a friend. unfortunately here in Maui we have always had a hard time getting ammunition so we have to order a case at a time when we need ammo. I was lucky that a friend of mine gave me different ammo to try to see what was best in my gun before I ordered my ammo. Good luck and happy hunting!

Frontier
Old 06-04-2009, 09:25 AM
Spike

I once had a ruger 77 in 06 that one of my sons now has, and it loves federal blue box, before that the hunter pack stuff....it shoots 5 shots you can cover with a quarter at 100 yds...the "Premium" stuff in this gun, wouldnt shoot any where near as accurate...a dead deer is a dead deer no matter what you use..However bulletts that penetrate too much and punch holes all the way through the animal I have totally changed my opinion on especially on deer size game!!....So premium ammo designed for heavier game should be avoided for sure...I would try a few more brands of less expensive stuff first and see if the 2" groups improve...you might be surprised...I handload now and have a much better appreciation of how much a slight change in something can make ..so if you find a particualrly good inexpensive ammo, by a couple of extra boxes of the same "Batch" number listed somewhere on the box...

Quick Reply: accuracy vs inexpensive ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.