HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   accuracy vs inexpensive ammo (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/294046-accuracy-vs-inexpensive-ammo.html)

thndrchiken 05-14-2009 04:14 PM

RE: accuracy vs inexpensive ammo

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

More than likely you can find a better shooting bullet....and probably for a bit less than $55 a box.
If you can't I would suggest selling the rifle and getting another. While 2" at 100 yards will kill game all day I see no reason to spend your hard earned money on a rifle that should be shooting better than that.
Like I said before though, you should be able to find ammo that shoots better than the groups you are getting now.
Unless the gun has an accuracy guarantee, every gunmaker will tell you that there is nothing wrong with a 2" group.

salukipv1 05-14-2009 06:11 PM

$55/box of .270win? I know ammo has gone up, but are you sure??

my .270 loves the cheap 130gr federals... my BAR shoots about 1/2MOA with em, or less!

give this cheap load a try...

your .270 may like 140grs or 150grs quite a bit more though....mine loves 130grs, so perhaps a cheap 140 or 150gr load might work even better! So at least give the cheap 130gr federals a try...

Hurricanespg 05-14-2009 08:14 PM

ORIGINAL: thndrchiken

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

More than likely you can find a better shooting bullet....and probably for a bit less than $55 a box.
If you can't I would suggest selling the rifle and getting another. While 2" at 100 yards will kill game all day I see no reason to spend your hard earned money on a rifle that should be shooting better than that.
Like I said before though, you should be able to find ammo that shoots better than the groups you are getting now.
Unless the gun has an accuracy guarantee, every gunmaker will tell you that there is nothing wrong with a 2" group.

That may be true, but it is not too much to expect to have any currently manufactured rifle shoot a 1" group at 100 yards irregardless of what the manufacturer says. If it doesn't I would sell it and buy a different one.

confusedsoul 05-15-2009 06:56 PM

I've tried Fusions, Federal Nosler Partition, Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester XP3, Hornady SST & Interbond all in 130gr and my x-bolt in .270 preferred the Hornady's by far the best. Sub-moa for the Hornady's to absolute crap with the XP3's, so yes, it does make a difference. It can be a spendy trial though. Used Hornady 130gr Interbond for my deer tags this year, both in/out and 1 shot kills.

bigbulls 05-15-2009 07:05 PM

Any time you change ammunition it can and usually does make a difference in group size and point of impact.

If Remington Core Lokts are giving you 2" groups then try Winchester power points (silver box) orFederal power shock (blue box). If these still don't shoot well then move up to more expensive ammo like Hornady innerlocks or SST's.

Generally speaking, the more simply constructed the bullet is the more potentially accurate it will be.

Todd1700 05-15-2009 09:40 PM

Here's my 2 cents.

First, for whitetails you do not need premium bullets. I have killed a duel wheel dump truck load of them in my lifetime with basic Remington cor-lokts and Winchester power points. Simple lead tipped cup and core bullets are as lethal on whitetails as anything out there. In factI think a lot of people are using bullets too toughly constructed for deer. Going on a Moose or Elk hunt? Fine buy some trophy bonded bearclaws. But for deer such bullets are not needed.

Second, there is no gurarantee that more expensive ammo will shoot more accurately in your gun. Each rifle, even of the same brand, caliber, and type, can be very different in what they like. They might shoot the premium stuff better but they are just as likely to group well with simple core-lokts or power points.That being the caseI would sure as heck start with the cheaper stuff first to see ifI could get acceptable accuracy before I moved on to the really expensive stuff. Since your goal is 2 inch groups at 100 yards (a very realistic and practical goal by the way) I'm betting that eithercor-lokts, power points or the blue box federal stuff will meet or exceed your expectations.

Colorado Luckydog 05-16-2009 04:47 AM

A little different twist to the same goal. I just set my accu-trigger down as low as it would go on my Savage and it helped my groups a little. If your Savage doesn't have the accu-trigger, get a trigger job. A little thing like a trigger job will allow you to shoot cheaper ammo with better groups.

blasted_saber 05-16-2009 06:02 AM

Price isnt usually inidicative of the accuracy potential, but moer of the toughness of a bullet. Expensive bullets are meant for bigger, hardier animals with tougher bone and hide. They dont expand as fast, and hold togeather more to mkae sure they get ito the vitals before opening. You dont want the bullet achieveing expansion before it punches through a shoulder, and wasting all its energy on a non vital spot.

Cheap Rem, Win, or Fed ammo is more then enough for deer.

Warren 05-18-2009 01:08 PM

I was discussing this question with my son who is living near Monterey,Ca and he is now having a hard time finding ammo. He can't find cheap or even midpriced 270win ammo and he can't even find 22s. I went to my local Walmart in NY and I was shocked at the almost empty shelves.
Anyone know what's going on?

bigbulls 05-18-2009 01:49 PM

I was discussing this question with my son who is living near Monterey,Ca and he is now having a hard time finding ammo. He can't find cheap or even midpriced 270win ammo and he can't even find 22s. I went to my local Walmart in NY and I was shocked at the almost empty shelves.
Anyone know what's going on?
Have you been hiding out in the Alaska wilderness since November 11 of last year or just living under a rock? ;)