Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Any lefty's shooting right handed bolts??? >

Any lefty's shooting right handed bolts???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Any lefty's shooting right handed bolts???

Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any lefty's shooting right handed bolts???

Anyone who frequents this forum has probably seen my COUNTLESS posts about picking "the" rifle and caliber for my next purchase......

While the fact that there's no "perfect" rifle is starting to sink in, I keep finding some that I really like.....but their all right handed bolts and not offered in a left handed model.

The Kimber Montana. Kimber 8400. Browning X-Bolt. Weatherby Mark V Ultra-light (not offered in a caliber that I would have any use for)......The list goes on and on....

I know there are a number of folks who love hunting with single shot rifles. The Ruger #1's and T/C Pro Hunters are getting more and more popular.

So.......I figure I can cycle a right handed bolt gun faster than reloading a single shot...so would I really be at a dissadvantage????

I'm curious if any other hunters out there have run into the same frustrations as I have with finding rifles you REALLY like, but them not being available in a left handed version.

What did you guys do? Buy the right hander and make do or hold out and find a left handed version that fit what you wanted?????
Old 05-11-2009, 11:55 AM

Default RE: Any lefty's shooting right handed bolts???

I understand what your going through man...i'm in a market for a left-handed rife and can't get the one i want either! I've been hunting for 7 years and my first rifle i boughtis right-handed. I believe i'm a bit slower than i would be if i had a left-handed rifle when reloading. I decided that i'm just going to go with another right-handed rifle though.I'm surethere will be a time down the road when i will bea split second too late getting off a2nd shot....buttruly all i can blame is myself for not making the first shot count! lol
Old 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got both. A single shot Browning and a right-hand bolt. With the cartridges in a sleave on the butt stock, I can reload the single shot faster and with less movement than I can south-paw cycle the bolt. Having said that, I like, and amcomfortable with both rifles.I grew up south-paw cycling right-handed bolts, so I'm used to it. They both are accurate and there are very few times whenreloading needs to be done quickly. My primary criteria is how accurate the rifle is, not how fast I can miss with it. The idea is to hit the target the first time.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Spike

I was in the same boat, and I purchased a right handed rifle as talked about in this post:

ORIGINAL: confusedsoul

My dad and I are both left handed shooters. My dad owns a LH Browning A-bolt Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag with BOSS system and I must say it is a BEAUTIFUL rifle. A great shooter as well. With that said, I myself purchased a Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270. Growing up I have gotten use to shooting right handed bolt rifles and it doesn't bother me to own one. Now if this would be a varmint rifle I probably would've held out for LH or semi auto rifle just for the handiness of cycling the bolt for a second shot. With big game, its usually one shot downed animal, so a followup isn't necessary. My X-Bolt is lighter, better trigger, better recoil pad, removeable magazine and is just as good a shooter. It doesn't look near as nice but I could've went with the Medallion version and been closer. I say go Browning, but either make a good rifle.
I'd also like to reiterate that for my varmint rifle, I will go LH or semi auto due to cycling the rifle more often.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Spike

accidental double
Old 05-12-2009, 02:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Okay, here goes... I am a little weird... I am ambidexterous and can shoot lefty or righty. But I started out shooting lefty years ago, but then slowly - ever so slowly - over the years I got myself trained to shoot righty as well. Now I can do both equally well.

--- Older model Savage 110 in a .308 with Bushnell 3-9x40 scope - I shoot this righty and have no problems with it. Trying to reach the bolt while shooting lefty is a little odd, so I just keep shooting it righty.

--- Old Marlin .30-30 with plain open sights - If I need to be quick, I'll pull up the ol' .30-30and crack off a shot lefty style. If I have time to spare, I'll shoot it righty and make the shot count.

--- Remington 870 12GA - I shoot this righty almost all the time with both eyes open.

--- Reflex Highlander lefty compound bow - Okay, okay... This I HAVE TO shoot lefty. I started out shooting archery left handed and just stuck with it. I can't shoot both eyes open with it though.

Like I said, I'm a little weird.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Have about 20 right handed bolt action rifles. Many are military rifles that are seldom fired. A couple right-handed sporters are fired from time to time. All of my go to rifles are left-handed.Remington, Ruger, Savage, CZ, and Sako all make left-handed rifles. Stag Arms makesquality AR-15 rifles in left hand.

http://www.gun-shots.net/left-hand-rifles.shtml
Old 05-12-2009, 06:58 AM
Fork Horn

I am right handed, but a few years back had a problem with a scope fogging during deer season. I had to use my brothers left handed a-bolt, and it seemed okay. It still shouldered well, and felt pretty nice. The bolt did not get in the way. I shot it previous to that to sight it in, and it did not feel too awkward on a bench rest.

If I am correct, the market only began to make lefty bolts around 15 years ago or so -- maybe twenty, in any real numbers or options. I just do not recall them in the late eighties or early nineties being all that easy to find. So for the previous 100 years or so, lefties had to use right handed actions if they wanted a bolt action, and I'm sure lots of game has fallen to that combo....

I see lefties shooting right handed auto shotguns all the time at the gun club -- Benelli and Beretta do not make them in lefties. Don't think that Browning does either. And those guns extract the shell in front of their field of view. One guy has been the club champion for multiple years.

I am just glad that I am not left handed -- my brother still complains about it (justifiably I may add) all the time!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 AM

Hey Falcon - Im sorry to hear about all those guns you have to oil up and clean... I'll take a few off your hands for you. Call it a donation to the "college kid with too much debt" fund.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Fork Horn

Did for years and years... then I saved up some serious cash and bought two Browning Stainless Stalkers, both left handed bolts and haven't looked back since. Best story ever was my old 760, 30/06...during rapid not paying attention fire, some of the ejected cases would go down my coller or inside my hood, about 1/4 of a second after being fire, now that will get you attention in a hurry.. that bolt in front of your teeth always worried me, especially from 7mm mag and up...got some nice fat lips from my 8mm Mag back many moons ago..even though they aren't making ever model, most are making something these days.. you'll be able to find something somewhere..it's not perfect but it's better today than ever before in my opinion...

Quick Reply: Any lefty's shooting right handed bolts???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.