HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   assault rifle dilema (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/293727-assault-rifle-dilema.html)

mtair123 05-08-2009 03:26 PM

assault rifle dilema

hey all,i havent posted in a while . but i am planing on buying a rifle like a colt ar-15considering price quality, and reliability, etctheir a lot of manufacturers bush master stag ,armalight etc. who gives the best value for the price thanks mike

Uncle Mike 05-08-2009 03:49 PM

RE: assault rifle dilema

Rock River Arms and Olympic Arms followed by DPMS. Opinion only!

Briman 05-08-2009 09:16 PM

RE: assault rifle dilema

Top tier:
Sabre defense
LMT
Les Baer
Colt

Next tier:
Rock River
Bushmaster
Armalite

Ron Duval 05-09-2009 04:04 AM

old

removed by RD

thndrchiken 05-09-2009 05:55 AM

RE: Not an assault rifle!

ORIGINAL: Ron Duval

Unless it will fire in full automatic, this is not an assault rifle. This term is widely used improperly and is one of the anit-gunners tactics to taint the opinion of the voting public (remember the "assault weapon" ban?). "AR" seems to be an acceptable term, even "black rifle" is commonly used, but they are clearly semi-automatic unless you have the right license to own a full auto version.
Having used the real thing many moons ago, I have no use for military style rifles.However, I fully support anyone's right to own one if they so choose.
I agree with Ron, how are the sheep ever going to become educated if we ourselves keep calling ar platform rifles "assault rifles". Call it what it is, a semi auto AR 15. Like Ron I don't have a practical use but would bend over backwards to support one's right to own and shoot one.

Howler 05-09-2009 05:57 AM

AS far as BEST bang for the buck IMO the Rock River would be hard to beat. IMO, when you buy a colt, you're paying for the name more so than paying for best bang for the buck. Les Baer is custom, again, great rifle with accuracy garauntee, but not necassarily the best bang for the buck. Bushmaster and Armalite are good rifles for the money. Heck, even DPMS makes good stuff for the money.
The biggest problem that you'll run into right now is not paying too much. With the current very high demand for these rifles comes a higher than normal cost for them. IF you can find any of them made by the makers listed in this post for $1000. or less, in new condition, you've found a smokin' deal.
I've got two custom builts that I use to hunt predators with. Not long ago, I didn't see a need or have a desire to own and use them for hunting. BUT after I got to borrow an AR-10 Armalite from a buddy while calling coyotes, I soon realized the benefits of the quick follow up shots. I even plan on using my AR-243 wssm. to hunt antelope this fall. These days, the AR style rifles can be just as accurate as most off the shelf bolt guns and in the predator hunting worl, they have become very popular, with even Remington making thier own version in the R-15 and R-25.
Good luck with finding one that you like at the right price.

Bernie P. 05-09-2009 06:44 AM

I don't know much about assault rifles but the CZ looks like a good one at a reasonable price.

stalkingbear 05-09-2009 09:31 AM

Personally I think DPMS is the best bang for the buck in AR15s. I have a couple of them & they appear to be underrated. Naturally I had to change a few things on them to make them exactly to my liking.

driftrider 05-09-2009 12:55 PM

FYI; the "Remington" R-15 and R-25 rifles are actually rebranded Bushmaster rifles. Remington is owned by the same company that owns Bushmaster.

Mike

homers brother 05-09-2009 06:21 PM

Unless you're willing to wait, you're likely to be stuck with whatever is in the dealers' racks.

Most of what I've seen lately have been Bushmasters, with DPMS a close second. From what little I know about them, either of them would be a reliable rifle. I've also seen a few of the S&Ws, and know a couple owners who are quite happy with them.

If you want a Rock River, plan on waiting - and the wait is worth it. I have a Rock River Entry Tactical and a Colt Gov't Model AR15A2, and the Rock River is the better shooter, hands-down - though the Colt's just as accurate as any military M16A2 I've used.