Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Reminton CDL vs. Browning A-Bolt Medallion >

Reminton CDL vs. Browning A-Bolt Medallion

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Reminton CDL vs. Browning A-Bolt Medallion

Old 05-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Default Reminton CDL vs. Browning A-Bolt Medallion

I'm posting this out of interest from some of the responses in the "X Bolt vs. 700" post that's on it's 4th page now.

I'm in the midst of making my final decision between a CDL and a Medallion.

I'm a lefty, so the X-Bolt isn't an option yet.

I've found a A-Bolt Medallion and a 700 CDL both in left handed models and both in the caliber I want.

I think I would be pretty happy with either, but I would sure luke to hear some pro's and con's on both.

So far, the only negative on the CDL I've heard was that Remmy's have a poor extractor. I've been told a gunsmith can convert it pretty easily to a Sako style extractor.

I haven't really heard much negative about the Medallion other than it having fewer aftermarket parts if I ever wanted to customize the rifle.

Both the CDL and Medallion are about the same price, so anything you folks can think of to help me pick between the 2 would be welcomed

Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Default RE: Reminton CDL vs. Browning A-Bolt Medallion

Neither one of them are going to be a problem for you.
I don't think you necessarily have to have the extractor replaced on the CDL, we sell a lot of 700's, and use them ourselves and have not had a failure of such yet... knock on wood! hehehe
If made injapan isn't a problem for you then I think the A-Bolt is a darn good rifle.

Save yourself the heartache... get the Savage. lol
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks....

But is that a recomedation for the Browning or the Remmy?

Old 05-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Between the two, as far as quality, accuracy ect... There aint a spit of difference!
I know...then wich one...well... get the... Remington.
Only because I prefere to buy American built stuff. I do like the looks of the A-Bolt, but the hunter flavor.
I'm tellin' you... IMHO, get the Savage.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

If I am correct, you sold your 700 XCR because it did not fit you well.

The CDL stock will have the same dimensions, fit, etc as the XCR, except it will be wood.

If you get the CDL, you will have an instance of history repeating itself.

As I stated in a prior thread, IMHO the perfect rifle does not exist. Visit a few stores and look at all guns you are interested in, buy the one that you like the most/feels the best, put a good scope on it, practice with it, keep it, and call it a day. Your search for the perfect rifle will only cost you money, and give others good deals on like new, used guns.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM

ooooooh, I did not know you sold your XCR because of ill fit.
As wolverine72 said, "the CDL has the SAME diminsions as the XCR... so nothing gained there!
Get the A-Bolt then.....Psssst Savage! hehehe
And wolverine is right... the perfect rifle does not exist... as I say,"the rifle that you like, is the perfect rifle"-
If it fits you well, is accurate enough for you and you enjoy the peice...THAT is the BEST rifle there is-

Pssst...Savage
Old 05-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

you guys are both very correct. I did sell the XCR because it didn't feel like it "fit right". Seemed like the length of pull was too short.
For some reason, the CDL seems a little better...even if the measurements are the same. I don't know if it's because of the wood stock with checkering or if it's just my imagination.

I will say there's something about the "look" of the CDL that draws me to it.

When I look at the specs on the Medallion and the CDL...it doesn't seem that either of them feel much different.

With the same specs, why do you think the XCR wouldn't feel right and the CDL would???

I know the perfect rifle doesn't exist, but a redneck can dream!
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-19-2010 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 03:12 PM

The difference in "feel" between the XCR and CDL may be the width of the top of the comb, the CDL being a tad bit wider than the XCR.
Also the XCR, being lighter in all the wrong places lends itself to being slightly barrel heavy, an unpleasent feeling.

True there is more aftermarket upgrades for a Remington, however try not to buy a rifle on this asset, unless you intend to spend extra dollars in this arena.

The CDL's weigh in at around 8+ pounds, after a scope, mounts, sling and ammo the CDL can push 10 to 12 lbs.
The A-Bolt the same.
Any one of the mentioned rifles are excellent for what your after, Remingtons are good; the Brownings also... the Savages tend to be a bit more accurate than the other two( I bet I catch crap for that... but it's true) so long as the Remington is a "new" one, the older Remingtons were accurate.

I guess what I'm saying is try them all on and see which one likes you the best!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know where this crap about poor extraction with Remingtons comes from. I've been shooting 721's, 722's, 725's and 700's for more years than I care to count. I'm telling you right now I've yet to have my first ejection/extraction problem. I'm not buying it. Any of it.
As far as bedding goes, I wouldn't do a thing until I'd shot the gun with different brands of ammo after a barrel break-in period. The last several Rems I've bought shot just darn good right out of the box. As far as appearance goes, I think you would have to look long and far to beat the CDL.
I know there are lots of Browning lovers on here, and that's fine. Some people drive Fords too, and love them.

Quick Reply: Reminton CDL vs. Browning A-Bolt Medallion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.