Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!! >

Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

It sounds like you really want the A-bolt. So get what you want and be happy. If you buy a gun you don't really want, you will never be happy with it. You could try to shim the floor plate with some cork or paper. That would help with the noise.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have two Ruger bolt guns.One of which is the Hawkeye all weather in .280 Rem.It shoots great!I think Brownings are excellent guns as well but for the money I think Ruger has the edge.Besides if you put the cost difference into refining one I'm certain it will beat out the Browning in most any and all regards.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either A bolt
or to save money
Hawkeye
Old 05-07-2009, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

One thing that I've learned is that you'll never find the "perfect" anything -- and asking for too many opinions only creates confusion!! I could pay thousand and thousands of dollars for a custom built rifle, but I'm 99.9% sure that I'd find issues that that gun too! A good hunting friend of mine has went broke at times buying and selling guns, always hoping to find the "The Gun". I completely took advantage of a couple of those imperfect guns that he dumped!

My brother is a lefty, and he really likes the A-Bolt Stainless Stalker. He also has a lefty Medallion A Bolt. I have to admit they are great shooting, nicely built, and accurate guns.

The glare from the Medallion stock is not an issue. Tons of game have fallen to glossy BDL's and Medallions, just to mention a few. I've never seen or heard of a problem with the floor plate on the A-Bolts either. Again, lots of game killed with that gun too.

Seems like you prefer the Browning. If you do, get it, put a nice scope on it, practice with it, hang on to it, and call it a day!
Old 05-07-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The looseness on A-bolt magazines disappear when loaded and pressure is exerted from the spring. Also the glare is a non-issue when hunting for game with rifles. Go for the Browning-or wish you had and always wonder. You love the features of it and it fits YOU to a "T".
Old 05-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd lean (a touch) towards the Browning, however, I like Ruger's also. They are very solid and dependable. I actually prefer the X Bolt over the A Bolt but either is a fine choice.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Typical Buck

I think all three guns would serve you well. However, there are a couple of things to consider.

First is glass. Buying the Ruger frees up another $150 - 200 for a better scope. If you think you can live equally with all three rifles, this can be the ultimate decider for you.

Second is "confidence" in the rifle. Personally, I prefer to shoot rifles I have confidence in and that feel "right" to me. I feel better about making tough shots with a rifle I have confidence in and a $150 scope than I do about a rifle I don't have confidence in and a $1,500 scope. Some people are not this way, though. They shoot everything well and make due with what they have. If this is important to you, however, buy the rifle that feels best.....period.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 AM

SAVAGE-
Old 05-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I bought my 1st remy 700 it was a shooter and I like it ,but sold it, cause I thought "i could do better", that and I was addicted to buying rifles, for a while. Now about 10 deer rifles and several thousand dollars later, I own another 700 and I am quite content.

Happy shopping
Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that floorplate rattle could be eliminated...........

Quick Reply: Help me pick between these 3 rifles PLEASE!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.