Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Top shooting myths? >

Top shooting myths?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Top shooting myths?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Top shooting myths?

That non-magnums shoot better groups than magnums!!

Old 05-11-2009, 06:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

That non-magnums shoot better groups than magnums!!

LMAO!!! And there it is!!!
Old 05-11-2009, 06:27 PM

Not to disagree but I shoot a WB and I love it. Personally I think it is one of the best hunting rests out there. Fall away rests are great but from a spot and stalk application I wouldn't want any rest that is not full containment, and as I do not or at least haven't ever hunted from a tree stand I can not give an account of a fall away being good or bad in that aspect. I know lots of hunters whom use the fall away rests and they think that their rest is better, to each their own, but for me it is the WB all the way...
Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

1) the bullet rises as it goes downrange
Without doubt one of the most common misconceptions I run into right there.

If you do not indoctrinate some kind of elaborate barrel break-in proceedure... your rifle barrel will be ruined and it will never shoot better than 2" at 100 yards!-
This one is still going strong as well. I have read several good articles by people who know far more about making rifle barrels and putting together accurate rifles than we ever will that just blasted these barrel break in procedures as utter laughable nonsense.

That the term "Brush Gun" means a gun which fires a heavy bullet that isn't easily deflected by brush. When the term was of course originally coined to describe a shorter version of a gun that was easier to carry, maneuver and aim in thick brush or cover.

I also find it funny when I see people blown backwards, often through windows or doors,in movies by gun blasts. Bullets don't push you anywhere. They just strip through your @$$.

I carry a magnum rifle because it gives me a little more margin for error. In what way? A miss is a miss whether it's with a 243 or a 300 win mag. And a poorly hit animal has a good chance of not being recovered regardless of what you shot him with. Larger caliber or cartridge sizes do not lessenthe need for good marksmanship.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also just because a rifle shoots 1" groups at 100 yards, it'll group 3" at 300 yards.
I was thinking about this one last night at the range. Since i bought my pistol i have been shooting at 10yrds in the back yard. Last night i went to this range where the closest bench is 25 yards. I went from 10 to 25 yards and found out I'm a horrible shot!
Old 05-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would add one that I have seen people vocalize to the media and through the media numerous times. I have heard themsay that an "assault weapon" is more powerful than a regular rifle.

One of these people was a govenor who actually made the distinction between the ability to put rapid multiple hits in a given area and the "power" (energy) of the bullet. He made no bones about telling people listening to that news cast that bullets shot from "one of these guns" were more powerful than those fired from a hunting rifle.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:03 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: standsleeper

OK seriously. My favorite is" I don't need to practice as long as my gun is sited in well."
I take issue with this one. My grandfatherr might take 5-10 shots a year these days. He can still outshoot pretty well everyone I know.

Mind you, he was a cop in his younger days, as well as being an avid hunter his entire life, and used to shoot a lot. Now he can pick up his rifle and shoot more then well enough.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I take issue with this one. My grandfatherr might take 5-10 shots a year these days. He can still outshoot pretty well everyone I know.
I don't know of a single person whose accuracy will not improve with regular practise.All of the best shooters that I know,are regular shooters.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

What I hate to hear the most is someone whowants you to help look for there deer says "It was a long shot but I got a good hit"-How long you ask?
"Oh it had to be 200/250 yards at the least"--And when you get there it may be 75/100 yds!---
And if they miss then the shot was at least 300yds.

Old 05-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

I don't know of a single person whose accuracy will not improve with regular practise.All of the best shooters that I know,are regular shooters.
I dissagree and agree.
For me shooting at 100 yds off a bench my accuracy will not improve no matter how much I shoot. The only way I have improved was to work on my gun and my reloading. Now shooting 500 yds would be different story or off hand shooting. Now that takes practice. I would say that the number one thing that will improve ones hunting accuracy is a good rest, a bipod or shooting out of a blind or even leaning on a tree, if people payed attention to that they will find they they would probably never miss.
Benchrest accuracy cant be acheived with off the shelf guns no matter how much you shoot.
But for hunting just getting a good steady rest will help a ton.Lots of people will let a bullet fly even if their crosshairs are bouncing all around, I dont and I teach that to my kids and anyone else who will listen. thats what I always ask, " are your cross hairs steady" if not we work on getting them steady before I let them pull the trigger.
Next thing would be buck fever, no matter how much you practice this can cause a miss or bad shot. I have been guilty of it even recently. I have punched the trigger during a bout of fever.

Quick Reply: Top shooting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.