Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Top shooting myths? >

Top shooting myths?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Top shooting myths?

Old 05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Top shooting myths?

I am teaching a hunting/shooting class later this month at my churches annual men's advance and I thought I would tackle someshooting myths, so what would you guys say the top fiveshooting myths be?
Old 05-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Top shooting myths?

1) the bullet rises as it goes downrange
It does, for a little while, unless you're shooting downhill... but it's falling the whole time.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 PM
DM

That mid to large bore rounds like the 35 Rem., .444 Marlin, and the 45/70 shoot "through" brush better than other cartridges like the 30-06, 270 ect...

That "high" velocity bullets expand LESS in an animal, because they zip right through without expanding...

DM
Old 05-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

That mid to large bore rounds like the 35 Rem., .444 Marlin, and the 45/70 shoot "through" brush better than other cartridges like the 30-06, 270 ect...

That "high" velocity bullets expand LESS in an animal, because they zip right through without expanding...

DM
Those are two good ones.

Mike

Old 05-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

I can hit what I am aiming at.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

OK seriously. My favorite is" I don't need to practice as long as my gun is sited in well."
Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

1)The bullet went through the animal so fast that it didn't have time to expand.Reducing the velocity will give it more time in the animal,so it will expand more.

2)I can't hit a target off of a rest at the range,but I am a deadly shot on real game from field positions.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Number 2 is my pet peeve of the 1s I hear. Another is boresighting will work as sighting in. Also just because a rifle shoots 1" groups at 100 yards, it'll group 3" at 300 yards.

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

1)The bullet went through the animal so fast that it didn't have time to expand.Reducing the velocity will give it more time in the animal,so it will expand more.

2)I can't hit a target off of a rest at the range,but I am a deadly shot on real game from field positions.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 PM

Military snipers launching .308 bullets routinely make hits on man sized targetsat 1000 yards!-

All snipers, every time... make one shot, one kill-

A .357 Magnum fired from a 2" barrel is BETTER than a .38 Spl. from the same length barrel-

Because Remington actions are used to build custom rifles more than other manufacturers actions... Remington rifles are the most accurate out of the box rifles!-(I like that one) hehehe

If you do not indoctrinate some kind of elaborate barrel break-in proceedure... your rifle barrel will be ruined and it will never shoot better than 2" at 100 yards!-

If wecan justget rid of all the guns... mankind will exist in peace and harmony, for ever and ever... with suger and spice on it... xoxoxo Blah-

And lastly... My dads brothers uncles next door neighbors wifes cousins freind has a _________ (insert type of firearm) that will shoot .125" at 500 yards... in the wind, up hill, at night on a Monday mourning- hehehe

See Ya-

Old 05-07-2009, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Top one for me is a bullet rises after it leaves the barrel. Simply not true at all. Gravity takes contol as soon as it leaves thebarrel. It looks like it rises because of the lineof sight vs the line of the barrel,but it starts to fall as soon as itclears the barrell

Quick Reply: Top shooting myths?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.