HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/293299-lever-gun-caliber-saddle-bag.html)

spiff 05-03-2009 07:29 AM

Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag?

Hey folks, trying to get opinions for a lever action gun to carry around in the forests of Northern California when out and about. I'm looking for a caliber that would be effective against black bear, mountain lion and coyotes if a problem arises. I will not be putting a scope on it, just open sights. Anyone have a hand gun cartridge they use in a lever rifle and is it deadly enough for the above situations? Let me know the make and caliber.

Thanks.

700xcr 05-03-2009 11:11 AM

RE: Which lever gun and caliber for saddle bag?

Marlin 1894 or 1894c in 44mag or 357mag. will suite you well. Also install an Ashley Ghost Ring sight on it. Fast sight picture and real accurate. I have this set-up in the Marlin 1894c 357mag. I shootfactory Federal American Eagle 158 grain soft nose at a chronographed 1835fps. out of my gun. Nice to shot and very accurate. A Ruger Blackhawk Bisley revolver would make a perfect match to the rifle with a horse.

stalkingbear 05-03-2009 12:02 PM

As posted above the Marlin in .44 magnum is a quality rifle and the .44 magnum in a rifle has plenty of power IF you choose the right bullets. I would stay away from a .357 as it's a bit light-especially on an large critter that's intent on having you for dinner. Puma also makes a dandy lever rifle in .454 Casull with fiber optic sights, a plus in low light fast aiming. The .454 Casull has almost twice the power as the .44 magnum and will reliably drop anything in California (or north america) with proper shot placement and (again) the right bullets. I've been thinking about getting a .454 puma for a short range powerhouse without the weight & bulkiness of the 1895 model in .45/70 (another EXCELLENT choice). Marlin does make a short model 1895 (guide gun) and that would be a natural as it's factory ported to reduce recoil.

HEAD0001 05-03-2009 06:18 PM

44 magnum or 45 Colt would make a great cartridge choice. Most of the available lever actions are reliable enogh for your purposes. I like the Marlin 1894's.

I would stay away from the fiber optic sights on a rugged conditions rifle. I have found that most fiber optic sights are not very durable.

The ghost rings are alright, however I prefer a good Lyman or Williams or peep sight with the slightly larger hunter's twilight peep. Tom.

semi 05-04-2009 04:01 AM

marlin 336 in 30-30. you will pay less for 30-30 ammo than you will for.44 or 357. It also has more power and the recoil is nothing at all.

driftrider 05-04-2009 05:56 AM

I think if I were in your place then I'd be looking at the Marlin 1895SBL in .45-70 Govt. Short, light, reliable, durable and powerful enough to make any bear in the woods have a very bad (and short) day. Comes in stainless so it'll resist the elements well, and the laminate stock will be stable, strong and weather resistant, not to mention attractive.

It come with built in ghost ring sights and a picatinny rail for easy scope mounting. Put on a 2.5-7x scope on it in Warne QR rings if you want a scope with the option of using the iron sights, and you'd be all set for what you want to do.

Mike

JeffS 05-04-2009 01:35 PM

What is wrong with a 30/30? You can find them everywhere cheap and the ammo is really cheap for them.

Blackelk 05-05-2009 05:01 AM

Agrees with driftriders choice but in a 444 marlin. Marlin has set the bar in lever guns. I have one in a 444 marlin and one in a 41 rem mag. Great accuracy in both.

eldeguello 05-05-2009 06:47 AM

I would recommend the new 338 Marlin. That's one helluva lever action cartridge!! A 200-grain spitzer at close to 2600 FPS. You might also look at the Rossi Puma in 454 Casull.....

thndrchiken 05-05-2009 10:42 AM

I'd agree with the 44 magnum and the ghost ring sights.