Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which rifles "fit" you the best? >

Which rifles "fit" you the best?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which rifles "fit" you the best?

Old 04-21-2009, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default Which rifles "fit" you the best?

So I did all this research on the next rifles I was going to buy. I looked at user reviews, test results, ect. and finally narrowed my choice down to a left handed Remington XCR in .30-06. I've owned lots of different rifles in the past, but never a Remington. Since it was a lefty, I couldn't find a gun shop ANYWHERE that had one in stock to see how it fit me. I did get to shoulder a couple right handed models and they felt alright....so I ordered a lefty.

Now I've got the rifle and have since mounted a Conquest 3.5 X 10 X 44 on it. It's a great looking package....but I'm very let down in how the gun feels when I shoulder it. It seems like it's too low when I shoulder it to get my cheek on the stock.
Also, I'm having a really hard time getting a clear view through the scope when I shoulder the rifle. I have to wiggle my head around A LOT until the "gun shouldered + cheek on stock + clear view through the scope" happens.

I also have a left handed Ruger M77 in .270 with a Nikon Monarch on it (also medium rings) that shoulders like a custom built shotgun. I just throw it up and everything is in perfect alignment.

Am I just not used to the new gun yet or does it just not "fit" me? I hate to have to turn around and try to sell the Remington. It's a fantastic firearm....but it's so frustrating trying to shoot it.

The only thing I've been able to tell is that the length of pull SEEMS shorter on the Remington. I've looked at the #'s, and most all the rifles out there are really close on their length of pull.

Does anyone have any ideas why the XCR feel so much different than my Ruger?......and if it's a matter of "fit" not working out, does anyone want to buy a lefty XCR in .30-06? LOL ....I'll make you a heck of a deal on it.

Thanks in advance,

Schoolcraft
Old 04-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default RE: Which rifles "fit" you the best?

Why did you decide to buy the '06 when you already have a .270 that fits so well?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I feel your pain. Correct fit is essential. If it's still a no-go after some getting used to time, I'd either sell it or get an aftermarket stock that can be tweaked to your liking. Maybe get the dimensions / "geometry" of your beloved Ruger and try to get something similar from Boyd's or another stock vendor. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know what you mean my Ruger fits me like a glove but if I put a tikka to my shoulder something just doesn't work right. You could look at an aftermarket stock and might come out cheaper then selling your gun and getting another. Or is could be as cheap as finding an adjustable cheek rest to install on your stock.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

I just listed the XCR in the Classifieds if anyone is interested. If you're a lefty looking for a heck of a deal, check it out.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a old Ruger that fits me perfect also. I have never noticed a fit problem with my sako or remington's. I wish that gun was right handed I would buy it.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:53 AM

I have a Rem 7400 '06 that feels ok,but it's a tad heavy.I bought a Rem 700 .270 and it fits and feels GREAT.I still use the '06 because it's an excellent one shot,one kill,no tracking gun,but I'm really getting to favor the .270.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

Sometimes it's simply a matter of having the right scope rings installed.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Spike

I Also have an XCR lefty in .30-06 and I love it. I am using a Leupold VX-III 3-9x40 with 2 piece Leupold base and Leupold low rings. The gun seems to fit me pretty well and I do not have any issues with shouldering an seeing through the scope. The whole setupshoots great. I did a 60 round break in and it shoots about 7/8ths of an inch with remmington core-lokt 150gr ammo. Have not tried the good ammo in it yet. I would keep the gun and maybe try the low rings.
Old 04-25-2009, 06:08 AM
Fork Horn

I've always used low rings on my Rugers and Brownings, but Iwas ASSURED that with the degree of bolt lift on Remingtons that the bolt would hit the scope eyepiece with low rings.

I may give the low rings a try and see if that changes anything

THANKS!!

Quick Reply: Which rifles "fit" you the best?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.