Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 problem with new handirifle >

problem with new handirifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

problem with new handirifle

Old 04-28-2003, 09:08 AM

Default problem with new handirifle

I bought a handirifle in .223 a month or so ago. I like it a lot except sometimes it doesn' t eject a shell. Then I have to stick a cleaning rod down the bore from the muzzle end to knock the case out. Any ideas before I send it in for service? Seems like the ejector sometimes doesn' t catch the edge of the case. Most of the time though, the ejector won' t push the case out. Even closing the gun and reopening won' t remove the case. This happens about once in ever 15 shots or so. Winchester softpoints.
Old 04-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: problem with new handirifle

Does it only happen with the winchester ammo?
Old 04-28-2003, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can try different ammo, but more than likely your extractor/ejector needs adjustment. I suggest calling H&R and talking to customer service. They are very helpful. Their number is 1-978-630-8220.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:11 PM

I haven' t tried other ammo but I will call customer service. The gun should work with all first class name brand ammo. This is not military surplus ammo or anything.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

My handi-rifle did the EXACT same thing with the cheap Win ammo. I switched to Black Hills, and it' s not a problem.

If you insist on shooting the Win...just wipe a dab of lubricant on the casing before shooting and it will eject.

I measured the win cases, and they expand quite a bit after firing. I came to the conclusion that is was the fault of the brass...not the gun.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

We had problems with Winchester ammo also . I would still talk to customer service though ,they could maybe tell you if others have had the same problem .
Old 04-29-2003, 06:58 AM

Thanks! I guess I should have asked before I bought winchester ammo. Which ammo do you use in this gun? Who would have thought winchester ammo was no good in this gun? If I had known I would have to shoot high $ ammo, I would have bought the .243 version. It can shoot 55 grains also but also 100 grains for deer. .223 ammo is cheaper or maybe it isn' t in this gun..
Old 04-29-2003, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Black Hills Ammo that I shoot is $16.99 for 50. That' s the 55gr V-Max. The jacketed hollow points are like $12 for 50...and they' re just fine.

That' s hardly expensive. You can also try the Wolf hollow points. They' re cheaper yet...and my buddy loves them.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:36 AM

Thanks! Do you have a link to the black hills? I really need softpoint do you think those vmax would tear up a turkey too bad? Thanks!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

I have read this story in another forum dedicated to H&R 1871, Inc. products.
The wisdom of that forum stated that you may need to polish the chamber and throat area of you barrel to get the shell to extract cleanly.

Quick Reply: problem with new handirifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.