Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what brush to use? >

what brush to use?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what brush to use?

Old 04-28-2003, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default what brush to use?

I bought some Hoppes solvent that works for Copper bullets.

Do I use that in addition to the standard Hoppe' s solvent?

Do I use a brash bruss with a solvent that works for copper?

Thanks
Bill
Old 04-28-2003, 12:04 PM

Default RE: what brush to use?

Any of the copper solvents will eat away at your brush. I' d use a nylon brush with a copper solvent. If you' re using the Hoppes copper removing formula (Benchrest), you shouldn' t need to use the regular Hoppes at all. The Benchrest Hoppes should do everything the normal Hoppes No. 9 does, plus help disolve copper. Although amoung copper removers, the Hoppes Benchrest isn' t nearly as effective as Sweets or some of the higher ammonia brands.

Old 04-28-2003, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

I havent opened it...I can return it.

Should I return it and look for a different brand?

I have always used Hoppes but I am by no stretch a gun expert. I have always used it because it seemed to be what was around. My Ruger 270 is my first rifle. (not counting the 2 .22' s and shotgun I have) and I want to take good care of it.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes. All Hoppe' s is good for these days is as a perfume for the gunroom. And you must use the old-time stuff for that!!
Old 04-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hoppes copper solvent will work, but it' s verrrrry slow. It may take 3 or 4 days of overnight soaking to get all the copper out. I prefer Barnes CR-10 for copper removal. It will work a lot faster. For powder fouling I prefer Shooters Choice.

As previously mentioned, do not use a bronze bore brush with copper solvents. Not only will it dissolve the brush eventually, but it will cause your patches to come out blue every time, which is an indication of copper fouling. You could have a perfectly clean bore but not know it because of the blue patches.

Since we' re on the subject of cleaning and this is your first rifle, let me suggest you use proper cleaning techniques and tools. Your rifle will remain accurate longer and you' ll get more enjoyment out of it. Use a good quality one piece cleaning rod like a Bore Tech or Dewey and a bore guide. Always clean from the chamber, not from the muzzle. Also, use 100% cotton flannel patches. They work much better than the synthetic patches like you find at Walmart.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new rifle.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer Barnes CR-10 for copper removal. It will work a lot faster. For powder fouling I prefer Shooters Choice.
Does this mean I would use both of these products to clean my rifle?

Are there any good articles that show how to clean and maintain the rifle?
I have removed the bolt and cleaned it from the proper direction as you suggested but should I be breaking the rifle down?

How clean should the patches be?

Thanks for all your help!
Bill
Old 04-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Where do you find these cleaning products?

The only thing I could find was a bore guide

http://www.basspro-shops.com/servlet...rTarget=browse
Old 04-29-2003, 02:05 PM
bigcountry

S4, don' t fall into this trap. All what they say above it true. But call my gunsmith up in Westminster, MD and find out how many barrels he has rebarreled over the years due to overeager people including myself for over cleaning the barrel cause they got to get every little peice of copper out. I have fell into the trap and have coated dewey rods, bore guides, plastic brushes, CR10, Sweets, montana extreame, the list goes on and on. Once you go down it, you can' t go back

Old 04-29-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

here' s what works for me......every 50-100 rounds I soak a cotton or wool mop in an amonia smelling copper solvant and swab the bore.......then I have a smoke.....If you don' t smoke have sex with the woman of the house.....if you live alone......find something to do for half an hour.....then swab the bore again..... keep the barrel wet with the copper solvent.....then get out a phosphor bronze brush and brush the barrel at least 20 full up and down strokes. Then dry the barrel with patches or clean cotton mops and run a light lube patch through the barrel.......it works for me.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

Who is your gunsmith in Westminster?

Quick Reply: what brush to use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.