Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Completed a dream handgun - MGM 460 S&W Encore >

Completed a dream handgun - MGM 460 S&W Encore

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Completed a dream handgun - MGM 460 S&W Encore

Old 06-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Typical Buck

Default Completed a dream handgun - MGM 460 S&W Encore

As I've mentioned numerous times, the 460 S&W was the cartridge that got me into handgun hunting. Despite the issues I had early on as a result of trying to learn to shoot with such a potent round, I've always been fond of the cartridge. However, It's become quite apparent that the cartridge has a lot of potential that isn't quite utilized even in my massive 14" Performance Center Model 460.

For a few years now, I've toyed with the notion of building a 460 S&W Encore. I had traded for a used factory barrel, but I didn't like it much. Its thin taper and lack of a brake meant even reduced loads kicked a little more than I liked, to say nothing of full power loads. I'd wanted to have MatchGradeMachine make a barrel, but just had other things going on. This year, I decided to finally pull the trigger.

The original plan was to place the order at the end of summer and get it in early fall, but I had two things go in my favor. First, my tax refund was almost double what it was last year, and MGM was offering a decent discount, so I ordered the barrel earlier than intended. Also, I managed to sell off a bit of unused hunting and shooting equipment on Gunbroker. It just came in yesterday.

- 15" long barrel
- Full bull contour
- Big bore brake
- 1-20" twist
- Hexagonal fluting
- Steel picatinny base
- USMC red Cerakote

Additionally, this build utilizes a Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x28mm scope, a Pachmayr grip, and 12 gauge Flex-Tech forend.

MGM recommends against the 460 S&W on their website because people complain about their barrels being inaccurate, a sentiment I've seen shared by 460 Encore owners elsewhere online. They believe that weak aluminum mounting systems and less robust scopes are to blame. For that reason, I had them install a steel, supported picatinny-style, six hole base. Past experience has shown that my preferred scope, the Nikon Force XR, is more than capable of handling heavy recoil, but just to be safe I used two pairs of Warne Maxima rings.

This is probably going to be my last big build for a while, as well as one of my dream handguns, so I wanted to make it look good. The red on black look is one of my favorite aesthetics. Needless to say, I'm very pleased with how the build turned out.
Old 06-29-2019, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator

Now let's see how it shoots

-Jake
Old 06-29-2019, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

TN, although the red accent wouldn't have been something I would have had done, that is an awesome looking hunting handgun. That brake should calm the recoil down considerably. I will be waiting for a range report on it. Good luck and congratulations on getting your dream gun.
My dream gun is a high end double rifle in 375 H&H. Nothing I really need it for but something I've always dreamed of owning.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red and black is a favorite of mine as well. For years, my competition chaps were red and black, and I’ve done up my trucks, rifles, pistols, etc in red & black. The fluting design is subtle, but unmistakable, very nice aesthetic. Hard to complain about 460 S&W performance, basically a 44mag with a hundred extra yards beneath it. It doesn’t have the range of some of the specialty pistol options with its level of recoil, but it has a lot of anchor in tow. I expect it’ll treat you well for many years to come.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

How much does that weigh with scope and rings?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys! I haven't had much opportunity to get out and shoot it yet.

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
How much does that weigh with scope and rings?
It weighs in at about 7 1/4 pounds. That's about like a small rifle, but it's going to need the heft to soak up the recoil.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Did you shoot it yet...huh, did ya....huh! Come on man lets hear how it shoots...inquiring minds want to know! LOL
Old 07-15-2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Did you shoot it yet...huh, did ya....huh! Come on man lets hear how it shoots...inquiring minds want to know! LOL
Didn't you hear about those earth quakes last week?

-Jake