Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Purchase question. >

Purchase question.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Purchase question.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Purchase question.

I have a question
I am looking for new handgun a glock 21. I live about3 hours from the store I found the best price on the gun. My sister and her boyfriend lifr in the town where the ffl is. They are coming down to my house next weekend and her boyfriend said he would go buy the gun for me then bring it down to me so i do not need to make the 3 hour each way drive. Is this legal i know you can not buy a gun for a person who can not legaly own one but I can and have bought more then a few. Would all i need to do is right a bill of sale from him to me. I do not want to break any state or fed. laws if we do this. We both live in indiana and the store is also in indiana.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Purchase question.

Bigtim, I'm no expert but I ran across this after I read your post. Thought I'd share. I would check and double check to make sure if it is cool.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/police/all-5guns.6854139apr12,0,5492434.story
Old 04-12-2009, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

in PA i believe the way to do it would be to goto another FFL and have it transferred which will cost somewhere around $20 or so...it would legally have to be registered to you for you to possess it with a few exceptions...
Old 04-13-2009, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tim,

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60

While this doesn't on the surface appear to be outside anylegal statutes, the fact that it raises the question in the first place tells you what you should do. In a sense, when your sister's boyfriend answers the block "are you the buyer", he's stretching the truth and the intent. I'm no attorney, but It'd be a bit different if it were a firearm he already owned that you were buying, but even those purchases can be restricted by state laws.

A better option would be to have the firearm transferred to your local dealer. Most FFL dealers will perform FFL-to-FFL transfers, provided the buyer pays shipping and the final FFL dealer's handling fee. Of course, handling fees vary, I've seen them add anywhere from $25 (the least I've paid) to $50 (the most I've paid). Shipping generallyadds another$20-$30. For those additional costs, you could probably buy the gas and make the three-hour-drive, or the same firearm availablelocally may not seem so expensive.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

WoW never thought that would be possiable. I think i might give the I state police a call and ask them.
ORIGINAL: Colorado Luckydog

Bigtim, I'm no expert but I ran across this after I read your post. Thought I'd share. I would check and double check to make sure if it is cool.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/police/all-5guns.6854139apr12,0,5492434.story
Old 04-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems to me the legal issues is with him and buying the gun not with me. Though i have no intent of breaking any laws. My guest if somethign did happen Him or Him and i would go to jail or i would lose my 600 gun 100 bucks is not worth the trouple. I figure it would cost me 50 to drive there not sure it is worth 50 bucks to drive there. I do not also want to buy it at gander mountain either the kinda pisses me off with there 75 dollar transfer fee.
ORIGINAL: homers brother

Tim,

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=60

While this doesn't on the surface appear to be outside anylegal statutes, the fact that it raises the question in the first place tells you what you should do. In a sense, when your sister's boyfriend answers the block "are you the buyer", he's stretching the truth and the intent. I'm no attorney, but It'd be a bit different if it were a firearm he already owned that you were buying, but even those purchases can be restricted by state laws.

A better option would be to have the firearm transferred to your local dealer. Most FFL dealers will perform FFL-to-FFL transfers, provided the buyer pays shipping and the final FFL dealer's handling fee. Of course, handling fees vary, I've seen them add anywhere from $25 (the least I've paid) to $50 (the most I've paid). Shipping generallyadds another$20-$30. For those additional costs, you could probably buy the gas and make the three-hour-drive, or the same firearm availablelocally may not seem so expensive.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty certain this would be illegal.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

Pretty certain this would be illegal.
+1.

Don't do it, especially with the anti-gun environment that seems to be brewing...
Old 04-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Straw purchases are not legal.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a FFL in southern Indiana and it is illegal in anyStateincluding Indiana.It is considered a "Straw Purchase" Make the trip and do it yourself.