Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Clear chamber or locked and loaded. >

Clear chamber or locked and loaded.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Clear chamber or locked and loaded.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clear chamber or locked and loaded.

No CCW in Illinois but at home I have a H&K USP40 loaded up with one in the chamber, safety on of course.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

You may want to learn to handle a firearm. If you can't clear your holster, chamber a round and fire as a reflex, maybe you should throw rocks, because I sure wouldn't what to be around you with a handgun.[:-]
Assuming you are refering to stalkingbear I would say that by his post he knows exactly how to use a firearm and thank goodness he does. I completely agree with his assessment. In a gun fight hundredths of seconds matter and can mean that you either live or die.

If I was a person intent on robbing or killing youand Icame prepared with a loaded gun aleady in my hand pointed at you and you decided to attempt to unholster your concealed firearm,operate the slide and then aim and pull the trigger you would end up dead.

Ask the police department if they carry their duty guns with a round in the chamber or not.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

You may want to learn to handle a firearm. If you can't clear your holster, chamber a round and fire as a reflex, maybe you should throw rocks, because I sure wouldn't what to be around you with a handgun.[:-]
Assuming you are refering to stalkingbear I would say that by his post he knows exactly how to use a firearm and thank goodness he does. I completely agree with his assessment. In a gun fight hundredths of seconds matter and can mean that you either live or die.

If I was a person intent on robbing or killing youand Icame prepared with a loaded gun aleady in my hand pointed at you and you decided to attempt to unholster your concealed firearm,operate the slide and then aim and pull the trigger you would end up dead.

Ask the police department if they carry their duty guns with a round in the chamber or not.

Very well said bigbulls! As a LEO I can assure you we carry with one in the chamber inour department. Split seconds definately make the difference. When I pull my weapon you can bet it is ready to fire, round chambered and no manual safety.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Sniper151

Not trying to sound like an a$$, but maybe you need to learn basic gun safety if you do not trust yourself to carry a loaded pistol concealed.

I understand the problems with keeping loaded firearms accessible in a home where children are present.....but concealed on your body is a completely different animal.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It just goes to show how much REAL defense carrying he's actually done. When carrying, and I now ALWAYS carry-2 guns in fact, the guns are fully loaded. The ALL TIME MAIN & BEST safety is between your ears and controls your booger hook. Carrying an unloaded gun says victim or armchair expert on your forehead. How much HONEST professional handgun defense training have you had? They SURE don't teach unloaded carry! While I've never been LEO, I'm friends with some of them, and I've been an instructor for YEARS and have actually survived-NOT WON-SURVIVED defending myself using deadly force. I'm NOT bragging-far from it, just trying to explain MY experience in these matters.

With home defense guns, you MAY have more time to load the chamber but my handguns are fully loaded & on safe. YOU might try getting some professional defense training yourself. Personal defense and it's training is vastly different than tactical, para-military, or military training. My home defense shotgun does in fact have an empty chamber with the slide unlocked. It's a simple matter to rack the slide as I pick it up. I've trained our kids (almost grown now) to respect guns and NOT to play with them, in fact my babygirl is the best shot on her high school ROTC rifle team.

I'm sure vahunter or any other LEO or experienced defense instructors will agree with me-sorry to hijack your thread.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

It just goes to show how much REAL defense carrying he's actually done. When carrying, and I now ALWAYS carry-2 guns in fact, the guns are fully loaded. The ALL TIME MAIN & BEST safety is between your ears and controls your booger hook. Carrying an unloaded gun says victim or armchair expert on your forehead. How much HONEST professional handgun defense training have you had? They SURE don't teach unloaded carry! While I've never been LEO, I'm friends with some of them, and I've been an instructor for YEARS and have actually survived-NOT WON-SURVIVED defending myself using deadly force. I'm NOT bragging-far from it, just trying to explain MY experience in these matters.

With home defense guns, you MAY have more time to load the chamber but my handguns are fully loaded & on safe. YOU might try getting some professional defense training yourself. Personal defense and it's training is vastly different than tactical, para-military, or military training. My home defense shotgun does in fact have an empty chamber with the slide unlocked. It's a simple matter to rack the slide as I pick it up. I've trained our kids (almost grown now) to respect guns and NOT to play with them, in fact my babygirl is the best shot on her high school ROTC rifle team.

I'm sure vahunter or any other LEO or experienced defense instructors will agree with me-sorry to hijack your thread.

Very well said.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the rsponds guys i got alot of good answers here I expect everyone would say locked and loaded and ready to rock. I am still unsure as to want is best for my setup. no kids so one coming and going but there are other issues. Thanks alot.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

On my person my 1911 is always C1, my DA/SA pistols always sit with a round in the chamber and hammer dropped ready to go in DA.

At home I actually prefer to keep them loaded WITHOUT a round in the chamber for the simple fact that I want to give my mind a second to clear coming out of a dead sleep. I want that one extra mechanical step that I have to perform rather than coming from a dead sleep to something that goes bang with just a pull of a trigger.
Is it a little slower? absolutely but that's just personal peace of mind I prefer in that situation.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

On my person my 1911 is always C1, my DA/SA pistols always sit with a round in the chamber and hammer dropped ready to go in DA.

At home I actually prefer to keep them loaded WITHOUT a round in the chamber for the simple fact that I want to give my mind a second to clear coming out of a dead sleep. I want that one extra mechanical step that I have to perform rather than coming from a dead sleep to something that goes bang with just a pull of a trigger.
Is it a little slower? absolutely but that's just personal peace of mind I prefer in that situation.

At home you may very well have that extra second or two to clear your mind. You may hear glass break or you may hear barking dogs. You bring up a very good point.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tend to agree. Though what worries me is that my new place i am moving to is about the size of my current bedroom and kitchen\dinningroom. So i worry if i will have that extra second or two. Though the gun will be more for general defense and not if someone breaks into my house when i am sleeping. Though i know the chance is there i do not see it happening. But i want to be perpared as they say better to have a condom and not need it then to need it and not have it
ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

At home you may very well have that extra second or two to clear your mind. You may hear glass break or you may hear barking dogs. You bring up a very good point.

Quick Reply: Clear chamber or locked and loaded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.