Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270 Win or .270 WSM??? >

.270 Win or .270 WSM???

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 Win or .270 WSM???

Old 05-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Win 70 in 270 Win

just go with a .270 Win. It is proven, and will be here as long as guns are legal.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .270 Win or .270 WSM???

Just be sure to keep the blued steel from rusting and the stock will take care of itself. The Browning stocks are finished with some of the toughest finish done on factory rifles. They are also free floated and glass bedded from the factory. I used to go for synthetic stocked rifles but now prefer the warmth of a pretty walnut stock and blued steel. A synthetic stocked stainless rifle is a tool but a pretty wood stocked proven rifle is a companion. Life is too short to hunt with ugly rifles. I figure if the weather is too rough for my rifle to be out in it, then it's too rough for me too.

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

ActuallyI love Browning rifles.

I've just always went with stainless/synthetic and I'm a little leary about going with a wood stocked, blued barrel gun for hunting. I know they've worked for decades....but I worry about the effects of rain and such.

If anyone has a "pet load" or favorite factory load for the .270 WSM I would really like to know about it also
Old 05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

.270 and .300 wsm i think both will be around for many years.

not sure id get a .270wsm if I already had a 7mm RM and a .270 win.

There is a difference between them all but as salukipv1 said - not enough to justify a new rifle. But if you are set on one, have you looked at the Browning BLRs. Leveraction and ambidextrous (sp). It comes in 270 and 270 WSM. Great guns and quick handling.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM

I'd go with the .270 Win.You've already got one,and it's a great whitetail load.I don't have any idea about the .270 wsm since I don't have one,but dead is dead.You can't get a deer a little more dead with a new gun.The .270 Win is a proven killer.Why not stick with it?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Prefer the classic to the newfangled. Go with the .270 and not the .270 WSM.