Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Laser Bore sighter >

Laser Bore sighter

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Laser Bore sighter

Old 04-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Laser Bore sighter

I just purchased an SSI bore sighter it came with everything to bore sight anything from17 to 50 caliber,but the target that is needed to use the thing. If there is anyone out there using one could you let me know what the measurement is from the center of the bull to the center of the cross hairs located at the top or near the top of the target.
Thanks
Steve
Old 04-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Spike

Default RE: Laser Bore sighter

OK the best I can tell is you line your bore up with the bull and the scopes cross hairs with the X or + above the bull.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't sweat it. There are dozens of places on the internet that you can find printable sight in targets that have a 1" grid on them for scope adjustments. Also, keep in mind that the purpose of the boresighter is NOT to sight in the gun. The purpose is just to get your first shots on paper so you don't waster a bunch of ammo just trying to hit the target, nothing more. They will not substitute for zeroing the rifle by shooting groups. So what I'd do if just print out some sight in targets. I like the ones with the "X" shaped crosshair alignment arrows, preferably in a high-contrast color like red or orange so you can see the bull easily. Set the target out at 25 yards if the velocity is less than 2500 fps, and at 30 yards is 2500-3000fps, and 35 yards if 3000fps+. Put the boresighter on the muzzle (or in the chamber as appropriate for your particular model) and set the rifle on a very steady rest. Now adjust the rifle until the laser spot is on the target. Then, looking through the scope, adjust the crosshairs until they are coincident with the laser spot. REMOVE THE BORESIGHTER! (see image below)

Now, load the rifle and carefully fire a round aiming at the bull. The Point-Of-Impact (POI) should be pretty darn close to the point-of-aim (POA), but it will almost certainly be on the paper unless you did some drastically wrong, or the boresighter is defective. Adjust the scope to bring the POI to the POA and fire again. Now you should be dead on or within 1/2" (close enough). Move your target out to 100 yards, and shoot a group. Adjust your zero as necessary and then you can move the target out further for longer zero ranges.

I do exactly as described above, but I just take out the bolt and use one of the most sophisticated optical instruments in God's creation, my eye. I just sight through the bore to the target, and then without disturbing the rifle I adjust the crosshairs so they match. I'm usually within 2" at 30 yards, which is good enough, and it's free.

Mike
Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do exactly as described above, but I just take out the bolt and use one of the most sophisticated optical instruments in God's creation, my eye. I just sight through the bore to the target, and then without disturbing the rifle I adjust the crosshairs so they match. I'm usually within 2" at 30 yards, which is good enough, and it's free.
Yip, this works just as well as any store bought bore sighter.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info, does anyone have a site that I can download thos targets?
I will nopt forget to take the sighter out!!!!!
Old 04-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunter90899

Thanks for the info, does anyone have a site that I can download thos targets?
I will nopt forget to take the sighter out!!!!!
There are just too many out there to list. Just Google "Printable sight in targets" and you'll get a bunch of links to literally dozens of different targets.

Here's one that I like to use for the initial sight in. The diamonds and the circle in the bull allow good sight alignment, and the 1" grid gives you a reference to make adjustments.

(Deleted the picture because it was too big to fit the screen)
Old 04-05-2009, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have one of the old-fashioned optical collimator type boresighters made by Bushnell. I've had it for over three decades, and it works just as well today as it ever did. It will "get you on paper", and from there you can finish zeroing the gun. It sticks up into the line of sight, so you can't forget to remove it before firing!
Old 04-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

my laser bore sighter vs. scope height is about 1.5" difference....which I believe is pretty standard...

so just line it up left/right in line and then the scopes crosshairs should be about 1.5" higher than the laser dot.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

my laser bore sighter vs. scope height is about 1.5" difference....which I believe is pretty standard...

so just line it up left/right in line and then the scopes crosshairs should be about 1.5" higher than the laser dot.
salukipv1
at what distance should the target be set?

Old 04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've just set mine up inside my house, so its maybe 15-20yds....or even less maybe 30ft etc...

it really doesn't matter the distance....basically the height of the scope above the rifle barrel is the distance you're lining up the laser dot and your crosshairs at downrange...ie 20yds etc...

so when you goto shoot at 50 or 100yds, you're on target....I've always been on target at 100yds with this setup.

You dont want the laser dot and the crosshairs on the same point at 20yds....then you'll be way off....you want the crosshairs high like 1.5" at 20yds from the laser dot ....ie where the bullet woould hit if it was going straight out of yoru barrel like the laser dot is...

Quick Reply: Laser Bore sighter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.