Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Help me make a choice >

Help me make a choice

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me make a choice

Old 03-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default Help me make a choice

I am looking into buying a 20 gauge slug gun.
I currently have a 12 gauge Mossberg 935 full rifle cantilever slug gun.
It is a super nice gun and shots great, but one day when hunting I slung my gun on my back and carried my wifes gun ( Remington 870 20ga. )out of the woods for her. Oh my god, it felt like a toy, light and agile.
So, this isstarting me think of purchasing a 20 gauge slug gun for myself.

I was looking at the Mossberg Super Bantam Slugster.

Or the Remington 870 Express Slug.

Any pro & cons of either gun?
Any pro & cons of going to a 20 gauge slug gun?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help me make a choice

Remington
The 870 is used by most law enforcement organization in the country. I personally am not brand loyal. I just trust that since it is viewed as the most dependable by the experts who depend on it. It is good enough for field use.
For the 20, less recoil, adequate energy. A win-win. It might throw you off with the new premium sabot slugs. Just make sure you look at all the ammo choices first and if confident in the selection, no problem.
Blessings
Old 03-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neither of those two. Benelli Nova or a Browning if you want a pump. I'd personally get a semi auto.

That' being said I've had a 870 and can't say I really was crazy about it. Jammed a decent bit and just took a little work out of the box to get it to shoot halfway without jamming.

So if you have to pick between those two I'd pick the Mossberg. Plus that Remington looks super ugly to me.

I just don't think Remington nor Mossberg have near the quality of a Benelli or Browning. Of course they don't have the price either.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Army issues the Mossberg 500, but I prefer the Remington. The Mossberg is a very satisfactory gun, however.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted Remington ONLY because you didn't have Browning BPS as an option.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stalkingbear

I voted Remington ONLY because you didn't have Browning BPS as an option.
That's what I was thinking.

The BPS is the finest pump shotgun made today, IMHO. You can get the BPS Deer Hunter 20 gauge with a fully rifled cantilever barrel.

It's a lot nicer looking too. The bottom eject and tang safety are also plusses.

But given your two choices, I voted Remington. The 870 Express' aren't Wingmasters, but they'll do. I think that Mossbergs are better these days, but when I was growing up my Dad instilled a dislike for Mossbergs in me because apparently they used to be junk guns (at least in his opinion). Every time I think about buying a Mossberg, I think about my Dad and what he'd say, and just can't do it.

Mike
Old 03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have four shotguns in my gun safe...three of them are Remingtons...I like the way they feel and handle...used to shoot semi-competitively with an 870 in 20 gauge...

As for a slug gun, I would go with the 11-87 semi-auto, and stock up on Hornady SST slugs.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Spike

I used to have 2 Mossbergs in my safe. Traded one for a Remington, sold the other to pay for another Remington. Now I have four Remingtons in the safe. I had a few jamming issues with both Mossbergs and one of them broke the elevator. That's when I got rid of them. I have thousands of rounds spread out between the four Remingtons and have never had a jam or any other problems out of any of them.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the Remington to the Mossberg, however I do have a 935 ulti mag that I use to goose and turkey hunting and its not a bad gun.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Typical Buck

to me it's a horse a peice. Whatever you can afford. The remy will cost more i believe but both will serve you right. i have had a mossberg 500 for 17 years and never missed a beat. It's been in all kinds of weather etc.... still keeps on ticking. I also have a remy 16 guage that is a nice gun.

Quick Reply: Help me make a choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.