Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Muzzleloader Help! >

Muzzleloader Help!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Muzzleloader Help!

Old 04-24-2003, 08:16 AM

Default Muzzleloader Help!

A friend of mine gave me a brand new CVA Bobcat Rifle in .50 cal. yesterday. It kind of blew me away. I took him hunting a few times last season and he did this just to say thanks. It wasn' t expected or necessary and in fact I wasn' t even shopping for one. I' d just mentioned while we were out one time that some day I was going to give muzzleloading a try.

Anyway, if y' all don' t mind I' d like your input (good our bad) about the rifle because I know absolutely nothing about muzzleloaders. Is this gun something I can hunt with or is designed more for looks and fun?

Is there any book or website I can research that would help?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2003, 09:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Muzzleloader Help!

Congrats on your ML!!!! Here is CVA' s website www.cva.com
Can also type Muzzleloading or black powder in a search engine should find lots of info on the net.

As far as the rifle it should work fine for hunting, I don' t know much about that exact model but I would try posting on the Black Powder forum. I am sure you' ll get input and find some CVA users.

I find MLing a blast. I spent lots of time at the range with my ML and with a little trial & error you can find a load combo that will give you great accuracy and ability when hunting game.

Have fun and enjoy
Old 05-02-2003, 03:52 PM

Default RE: Muzzleloader Help!

grats on your new front loader you should not have any trouble dropping a deer with it. What I would suggest is check around and see if there are any muzzle loading clubs around your area. Talk to those guys we are always ready and willing to help out a new shooter. One thing you will need to do is shoot the gun with different amounts of powder every gun shoots different . When you find the powder charge that works best in your gun then start incresing the distance to the target. Just check around and find out who shoots in your area and go shoot with them for a while you will learn the ins and outs. Good luck and be safe.