Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AK question

Old 03-22-2009, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default AK question

Greetings all.

I am interested in buying an AK. By that I mean the semi-auto rifle. Not knowing what the gun laws will be like in the future, I would like this rifle to last a long time.

I've got about $1500 - $1600 to spend.

I'm not looking for hunting rifle accuracy, I've got hunting rifles for that. I am also not looking for a "range hose." Just something to put a few hundred rounds through per year.

So with that in mind, would I be better off with.

1. A single rifle with a milled receiver, a replacement barrel and some ammo. (Stronger gun and more accurate. Will hopefully hold-up longer)

2. Two rifles with stamped receivers. A couple more replacement parts and ammo. One gun would be the shooter, the other would be more of a "safe queen." The safe queen being kept as a spare for the day when the other rifle wears out. (Not as strong or accurate as a milled gun. But would have more replacement parts, plus a spare gun)

Thanks for your thoughts,
~Robert
Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AK question

Is there any particular reason why you want an AK? Reason I'm asking, there are some much finer assault rifles that can be had in your price range- many different quality AR's, Steyr Aug, etc. The AK was designed as a "spray & pray" fully automatic rifle for untrained Soviet troops. Sure, it's extremely reliable and easy to maintain, but accuracy is generally very bad- I know you said it doesn't need to be hunting rifle accuracy, but a lot of out-of-the box AK's accuracy is going to be so bad that you might regret it later. If you're content with shooting at milk jugs at 50 yards, then it'll do that, but maybe not much better unless you get lucky with the one you buy.

Having said that, if you want the AK, personally I'd buy one that has been worked over, customized and accurized. For the price you're talking about, that shouldn't be a problem. The higher quality customized AK's can shoot with OK accuracy, depending on the rifle.

I just know that for me, an innacurate rifle is extremely frustrating and generally ends up staying in the gun safe most of the time.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:30 AM

The AK is fun to shoot and is still relativly cheap (7.62 x39). I would go with the 1st one.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Milk jugs at 50 yards pretty much describes what I am looking to do with this rifle. ARs, M-14s and M1s are excellent weapons but I have always liked the AK design - accuracy flaws included.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

So you'd rather spend your $1500 on a glorified peasant rifle that might, if you get a good one or are willing to put some more work and money into, put 50% of its rounds into a milk jug at 100 yards. One which you may or may not be able to find legal parts, and for which affordable eastern European ammo may not be available for in a year if Obama does like Clinton and signs one single EXECUTIVE ORDER banning the importation of ammo... OR...

You could buy yourself an AR-15 that will in almost every case will:

-Likely shoot well under 1 MOA right out of the box.

-Be exceptionally reliable and top quality.

-Be fully modular and allow for a huge variety of customized options down the road, including the ability to buy multiple complete upper receivers in whatever configurations you desire in a wide variety of cartridges.

-Allow the easy mounting of all varieties of optics and accessories.

-Have plenty of .223 Rem ammo available from domestic sources for the forseeable future. If the libs start banning ammo, by the time there's no .223 Rem left, there won't be anything else either.

Doesn't seem like a really hard choice to me... but it is your money. If you want to blow it on a beater rifle of marginal quality that's only real purpose will be as a glorified noise maker, go for it. I'll keep my AR and shoot tiny little bug-hole groups all day long, and be able to kick golf balls around with it at the 200 yards.

Mike
Old 03-22-2009, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm with driftrider on this. If you absolutely HAVE to have an AK,get the "best" you can-ie milled. I was faced with the same decision and chose a couple ARs. You can change caliber on an AR in about 30 seconds, and why not have better accuracy doing so? You CAN get an AR with 7.62x39mm you know.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

They even make uppers for the WSSM line of cartridges. An AR in 25 WSSM would make a wicked deer rifle.

Mike

Old 03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Spike

You should go with the milled reciever AK, Prefereably Russian made. Stay away from the stamped junk. I had the option to buy an AK a few years back and opted to go with the AR instead. I want to say I paid about a grand for the Colt HBAR back around 2003. I have experience shooting both and I prefer the AR for it's accuracy at distance and the fact that I can change configurations (A2 HBAR to M4) in seconds.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd opt for the machined version, rather than the stamped-out wonder.....
Old 03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK guys thanks. If I do go ahead with this, I'll look for a milled gun.

I appreciate the comments about the AKs accuracy. Especially because they are correct. But I have always wanted an AK and who knows how much longer they will be available.

------------------------
I was wondering are AK parts all interchangeable? That is will a stock for a stamped "WASR" fit a milled Norcino?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: AK question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.