Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil? >

Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

Old 03-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

I'm REALLY wanting to build a custom rifle in either .300 Win. Mag. or .300 Rem. Ultra Mag.

The actual "recoil" from a gun doesn't bother me much. .270, .30-06, 7mm. Rem. Mag. are no problem. 12 ga. 3 1/2" loads are no problem.

I just worry (maybe too much) about in the heat of the moment getting too close to the scope on a heavier recoiling rifle. For some reason I've always been leary about getting scope cut.

Do you folks have any tips for me to help decrease or eliminate my chances of catching my Leupold over my eye?

Thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 09:12 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

I'm REALLY wanting to build a custom rifle in either .300 Win. Mag. or .300 Rem. Ultra Mag.

The actual "recoil" from a gun doesn't bother me much. .270, .30-06, 7mm. Rem. Mag. are no problem. 12 ga. 3 1/2" loads are no problem.

I just worry (maybe too much) about in the heat of the moment getting too close to the scope on a heavier recoiling rifle. For some reason I've always been leary about getting scope cut.

Do you folks have any tips for me to help decrease or eliminate my chances of catching my Leupold over my eye?

#1 have the gun fit you properly
#2 use a long eye relief scope as possible
#3 Use a good recoil pad
#4 don't lean into or down when shooting on the benchwhen sighting in your rifle (this goes with #1)
#5 if recoil shy (which it seems like you are not?) never shoot anything above your limit, if it hurts do go there (it will do nothing but make you pull the shot and or hit your eye)
JMO

Thanks
Old 03-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: schoolcraft

Thanks
Those 30 cals are NOT heavy recoiling calibers. Just get a fixed power scope of long eye relief (4"+) and mount it as far forward as you can, and still see the full field of view. The problem with variable-power scopes is that the eye relief decreases when you crank up the power.

I have a Leupold compact 4X on my Ruger No. 1 .45/70, and it has 58 foot-pounds of recoil. It has never cut my eyebrow.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

As long as you're going to the trouble to have 1 custom built just have a muzzle break installed.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

First, select a scope that has at least 3" of eye relief at the maximum magnification. Then make sure you mount the scope so that it is in the correct position for you when you mount the rifle. When you shoulder the rifle you should see a full, bright and clear view through the scope without having to move your eye forward or back on the stock. Shoulder the rifle naturally and adjust the scopes position for you.

Then at the range when shooting from a bench, be mindful of the fact that most people tend to creep forward on the stock. When shooting from the bench, pay attention to the image in the scope. If it looks like it's closing up on the edges (tunnel vision), or is dim and fuzzy at the edges, you're head is in the wrong place. Move so you see a full, clear image in the scope.

The best suggestion would be to not shoot off the bench or from the prone position too much. These positions tend to put the shooters face closer to the scope than offhand, sitting or kneeling. If you do plan on shooting this rifle a lot off the bench, I'd consider having a muzzle brake installed. With a cartridge like the .300 RUM you would likely see a roughly 50% reduction in recoil, making the 300 RUM kick a lot like a .30-06.

The best thing you can do it just be careful to shoulder the rifle correctly and have the scope mounted correctly to take full advantage of its eye relief.

Mike

Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those 30 cals are NOT heavy recoiling calibers. Just get a fixed power scope of long eye relief (4"+) and mount it as far forward as you can, and still see the full field of view. The problem with variable-power scopes is that the eye relief decreases when you crank up the power.

I have a Leupold compact 4X on my Ruger No. 1 .45/70, and it has 58 foot-pounds of recoil. It has never cut my eyebrow.
Or, if you do get a variable power scope, get one that offers good eye relief over the entire magnification range, with a minimal shift in eye relief as the power level changes. Some cheaper scopes have very little eye relief and/or the eye relief changes a lot (shortens) when you crank the power up. Since you're investing in a custom gun, I'd assume that you have some money to spend on the optics that tops a fine custom rifle. I'd strongly suggest that you look at the scopes in the $350-500 range MINIMUM like the Nikon Monarchs (one of my favorite brands), Leupold VX-3 (which are known for generous eye relief, btw), Bushnell Elite 4200 (good glass for a reasonable price), or (my new all-time favorite) the Zeiss Conquest (the 3-9x40mm, which is an excellent scope, runs in the low $400's to mid $500's).

No sense building a very expensive rifle and putting mediocre glass on it. Good scopes cost money, but I'd rather have a good scope on a cheap rifle than the other way around.

Mike
Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Your Leupold should have great eye relief, When installing my scopes I turn it up on max power set and level the scope, with the bore and you should be fine. Muzzle Brakes work, but they are very hard on your ears. I can open and shut my brake on my rifle, for hunting i keep it closed.I never wear hearing protection when hunting and you don't want to shoot one with the brake open without plugging your ears.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:57 PM

Just get a scope with good eye relief. I have a Nikon that has a good 3.6 inches of eye relief and haven't had any problems.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

"In the heat of the moment" to mean is when hunting...right?The only way I know or can suggest is practice shooting like you'd be hunting this includes shooting position, rests, angles, different clothing, etc. ie: shooting from a kneeling position using a rock, solid tree limb, or shooting aides(sticks, bipod, etc)uphill at the target. Instead of a bench straight away shot only add some realism to your prep.

Of course fit and set up or your scopes eye relief are mandatory like mentioned previously, however your comments to me meant unexpected touches in the field. Which I assumed meant fit, setup, etc were good. If you crowd a scope it doesn't take big recoil to kiss you, my closest encounter was the first 2506 I owned - prone uphill shot at adeerleft me with a bump but no blood.

Good Luck.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:08 PM

Get a scout scope and you dont have any problem whatsoever about getting scope eye. Since you are getting a custom rifle built just have a lightweight shorter rifle made and have a scout mount put on and mount a burris or leupold scout scope and you are good to go.

Quick Reply: Best way to prevent scope cut from recoil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.