Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.22 Pistol

Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .22 Pistol

i have a buckmark standard...

i love it. wouldnt trade it for 2 rugers. the rugers shoot just as well and function just as well, but i could clean my buckmark and make and eat lunch before dad was done cleaning his ruger....dad is usually very good with guns and breaking them down...i wasnt racing or trying to be speedy or anything...there were just certain parts that gave him alot of trouble...i dont know if theres tricks to the ruger or what....ive heard alot of guys say thats the only complaint about the ruger is disassembly...my buckmark is pretty simple and comes right apart....

dont know if its still true or not...heard the camper wasnt as good when it first came out....the camper has the round barrels..the rest with the slab side barrels are supposed to be the better ones....price reflects that as well....not sure if there were issues with the first camper models or if they still arent as good or maybe it was rumors...i dont know just passing it along...

good luck....a 22 pistol is a great investment....i spent like 10$ the other day on 200rds of CCI minimags and spent an hour just having a blast....to do that with any other pistol, i would had to take out a loan! lol...looking at a good 60$ for 200rds of 40s&w....i had a blast...didnt shoot the buckmark prior to the other day in a long while....forgot how much fun it was....and an accurate sucker....ive always liked to shoot minimags from mine....the bullets are higher quality and have good copper jackets which help in feeding, they arent as dirty as some 22 shells, accurate, and have a little extra power to help with the blow back design....i put 200rds through the other day and never had a single issue...i bet i wasnt on the range an hour....i was shooting as fast as i could reload just having a ball shooting steel targets and such...
Old 03-21-2009, 07:51 AM

have a browning buckmark - absolutly love it - when I was shoppingI read a lot of reviews that put the buck mark on top. has good ergonomics
Old 03-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

I'm somewhat bias because I have owned and shot both The Ruger and the Browning 22 semi's(and others) in many variations over the years. I will stand by this statement "the Browning does make a pretty good 22 semi-auto pistol and are probably the second in line next to the Ruger MKII's and or perhaps MKI's and probably exceed the MKIII's (IMO)" Now that being said there are other issues with the Browning that really hurt their firearm in my option.
#1 they have the HARDEST slide rack of any 22 I have ever put in my hand, PERIOD!
#2 the accuracy isn't bad but will and never compair to a Ruger "with the guns I have test fired"!
#3 Browning Buckmark'sare very ammo sensitive. They seem to only like to feed Winchester and CCI consitantly (without jamming) and that in most part explains the accuracy #2 reason.

I have shot and taken alot of game, birds, vermon, and reptileswith a 22, but I have been wrong and or corrected before, However, I know what I have experienced thoughmany years with the 22 pistols I have shot! Again, JMO
Old 03-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

What about the breakdown of the Ruger? Is it really that bad?

I like to keep em clean and well maintained...this is an issue...

I shot a browning on thursday shooting federal 22L didnt jam on 100 rounds and shot really nice.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CarpetBagger

What about the breakdown of the Ruger? Is it really that bad?

I like to keep em clean and well maintained...this is an issue...

I shot a browning on thursday shooting federal 22L didnt jam on 100 rounds and shot really nice.
I don't think thefield strippingof a Mark II is bad at all. You do not need any special tools. Just follow the instructions.

I have never field stripped or witnessed a field strip of a Mark III. Go to the Ruger website and download the manuals for free (PDF files). There you can see the instructions for the field stripping and cleaning.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Google/YouTube. There are some great vids out there of Ruger Mk II/III disassembly and reassembly.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why are you favoring a Buckmark over a Ruger?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well honestly its becauseI shot the buckmark...seemed to fit my hand very nice. Held the Mark III today in stainless....Seemedvery heavy compared to he buckmark if they would have had a blued model and I could have got it under $400 i probaly would have went for it....

Guy at the gun counter seemed to agree they are hard to breakdown but toldme heowns one and has never taken it fully apart he justcleans out the chamber and hasnt had any problems.

Its going to be a buckmark or a ruger...whichever i can get the best price on.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
Fork Horn

I found a great price on a 22/45 Ruger MKIII....Im going to to go for it.