Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 what is the best ammo for a 308? >

what is the best ammo for a 308?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

what is the best ammo for a 308?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:41 PM

Default what is the best ammo for a 308?

I just bout a Rem 700,Varmet,tacticl,rifle(VTR) and I got it sited in and everything But I was woundering What brand of ammo shoots the best out of them? what brand holds the best pattern?
Old 03-16-2009, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: what is the best ammo for a 308?

Only your gun can tell you that. Each gun will shoot different loads differently. You'll need to try some different loads to see which works best. Do you know what your twits rate is?

I'll be doing the same thing in about a month from now once my Sako 75 is done being re-barreled in .308 win.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Federal Gold Medal Match is considered the accuracy standard for factory 308 Win ammunition. It can be had with either 168 or 175 grain SMK's. In the end, your barrel is going to dictate what load it prefers.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:01 AM

The best ammo is the one your gun shoots best! Twist rate and weight have a lot to do with your result. Try this link to get started: http://www.riflebarrels.com/products...wist_rates.htm

That will get you in the ballpark for weight, after that, just try different brands in it until you find the best one.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Spike

ok, it depends on what your useage is. for hunting deer get winchesters ballistic silvertip and your deer will drop in its tracks.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd start with a box of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with 168 grain Sierra Match Kings or a box of Black Hills 168 grain Match. There are a number of other makers of match-grade .308 Win ammo. You might even be able to get some surplus 7.62x51 NATO ball match ammo at a gun show.

But if you're serious about accuracy, there is no better ammo than the kind you make yourself by handloading. Then YOU get to control the precision and quality of the ammo and taylor it specifically to your rifle. Factory match ammo is pretty good stuff, but they still are limited by having to load it to be safe in every rifle chambered for that cartridge, which leaves room for error.

Mike

Old 03-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

You are going to have to try different ammo till you find the one that shoots to the level of accuracy you like. I start cheap Federal blue box, Win. powerpoints, corelokts, etc. and work my way up to the most expensive. If you are hunting deer there is no need for premium ammo the cheap standby's will do it if they shoot the way you want.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

i love iron sights for this reson. every brandshoots better then i can w/ irons
Old 03-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

As has been said, the gun will make the decision for you.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: driftrider

I'd start with a box of Federal Gold Medal Match ammo with 168 grain Sierra Match Kings or a box of Black Hills 168 grain Match. There are a number of other makers of match-grade .308 Win ammo. You might even be able to get some surplus 7.62x51 NATO ball match ammo at a gun show.

But if you're serious about accuracy, there is no better ammo than the kind you make yourself by handloading. Then YOU get to control the precision and quality of the ammo and taylor it specifically to your rifle. Factory match ammo is pretty good stuff, but they still are limited by having to load it to be safe in every rifle chambered for that cartridge, which leaves room for error.

Mike
As far as making your own goes, thats assuming that the loading knows what he is doing. That may not be so in this case. All of the details of loading aren't learned over night.

Quick Reply: what is the best ammo for a 308?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.