HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Older Savages (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/289079-older-savages.html)

Bocajnala 03-12-2009 06:13 PM

Older Savages

I know the new savages are tack drivers, I own a few. But what about one that is around ten or twelve years old? Are they still good? This is a .243 that is around ten years old, it is in nice condition and the barrel and everything looks good. Would it be worth $230 or not? thanks guys!
-Jake

driftrider 03-12-2009 06:30 PM

RE: Older Savages

I think it'd be worth that much just for the action alone. Buy it, get a barrel nut wrench and a make up an action vise. Then order a pre-chambered barrel from Shilen or Douglas in the short action cartridge of your choice that's threaded for the Savage action w/nut. You can rebarrel it yourself with just the above tools and a "GO" headspace gauge. Throw in a new trigger and voila, you've got a custom hunting rifle that will shoot darn near as well as a blueprinted Remington. If you want to go the extra step you can send it to Sharp Shooter Supply and have Fred time and true the action for $105 + shipping. There are also plenty of aftermarket stocks available for that era Savage Model 10 rifles, too for the full-custom treatment.

Or you could just take the good deal (and it is unless the rifle is beat to h*ll), and have a good shooting little .243 that you aren't afraid to put a few dings and scratches (read: character ;)) on.

Mike

cjohnson3006 03-13-2009 01:10 PM

I have a 3006 savage thats a 1998 model and a 243 thats a 2003 model. The 3006 has the heavy barrel and they both shoot great!
I did have a gunsmith adjust the triggers on both of them to around 3.5 pounds.

newton29 03-13-2009 09:24 PM

I traded for a Savage .270 in '97. It's ugly, but it's a tack driver.

eldeguello 03-14-2009 05:50 AM

$230.00? Sure.

Hurricanespg 03-14-2009 07:08 AM

I would go for it.

skb2706 03-14-2009 08:19 AM

For my young son to shoot prairie dogs with me I went to the local pawn shop, bought him a 22-250 Savage 110c, cheapest varmint rifle to be found. Paid $140 for the gun. Found out it was manufactured in 1973 or there abouts. I spent a little time on it bedding, cleaning it up and mounting a decent scope on it. We used that rifle for 5 years bascially abusing it and since I not big on shooting paper I can't tell you what kind of groups it would shoot consistently but I know for a fact it butchered prairie dogs well past 400 yds. regularly. Fast forward several years I stripped the same gun down and rebuilt it from the action, spent several hundred dollars on it with some really nice upgrades. It shoots excellent but I can't tell you it shoots that much better than it did way back when. It started out a "tack driver"...whatever that is.

Bocajnala 03-14-2009 10:27 AM

thanks for the info guys, Im gonna go ahead and buy it. If nothing else I'll make a project out of it and do something sweet! Thanks
-Jake