HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Is this bolt from a Remington 550-1 broken? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/288876-bolt-remington-550-1-broken.html)

hometheaterman 03-10-2009 12:31 PM

Is this bolt from a Remington 550-1 broken?

I've been helping a friend out by cleaning some guns for him. Anyway, on this Remington 550-1 once I got the bolt out and cleaned up a little I noticed this. It looks broken to me as it's just a super odd shape. I didn't find any pieces of metal though however, the metal where this is missing also looks super duper thin. I mean really thin. If in the gun it would be on the side of the bolt you cannot see. I couldn't get a good picture of it nut here is what I could get. Here are the pictures I could get.

I tried to draw the shape in paint but it turned out horrible.

That's what I drew and in the pictures it would be upside down. Not good at all but shows you it's not straight cuts as it's like it has teeth in it.

If this is broken is it safe or do I need to replace it? Any idea where to get a nice bolt and what it should cost? I'm hoping it's not broken but I don't see why it would have that in it.

Thanks guys.

liquidorange 03-10-2009 02:01 PM

RE: Is this bolt from a Remington 550-1 broken?

its probably the sear pin. i would go to gun parts.com and look up the diagram.your pictures arent clear enough. when in doubt have a gunsmith look at it. http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...del=0860z550-1

hometheaterman 03-10-2009 02:26 PM

It's just a hole not really not a pin or anything. I can't seem to get good pictures with any of the camera's. Those were the best ones and were from my phone.

hometheaterman 03-10-2009 02:38 PM

I finally got a good picture. Here it is. If you guys need a bigger one let me know. Photobucket makes them smaller.

hometheaterman 03-10-2009 04:54 PM

I noticed once you put the firing pin in you can no longer see thru that hole. The reason being the black on the end of the firing pin that slides in the bolt covers that hole. I don't know if this matters or not.[/align]

hometheaterman 03-11-2009 02:21 PM

Well, we took it to a gunsmith today and he didn't really instill a whole lot of confidence in us but he told us it should be find to shoot in his opinion. That along with what others have said online has me thinking we will just put it back together and shoot it.

He said that's made like that. Then when I said I wasn't sure he looked alittle closer and looked at the gun. He then told me that I was missing an extractor. I told him the 550 had 2 extractors but the 550-1 had switched to only 1 extractor. He didn't seem to believe me. He went into the back and I saw him pick up a book. He came back out a few seconds later so I'm not sure he had looked into the book. He looked at the gun closer with a light and said everyone he had seen had 2 extractors.

I asked him so he thought the other thing was fine to shoot and he said yea that should be fine. So I guess I will just put it back together.

eldeguello 03-12-2009 11:35 AM

I don't think the bolt is broken - it should work OK as long as the striker mechanism works and the bolt locks closed as it is designed to do......

hometheaterman 03-12-2009 08:46 PM

Yeah it seems to work fine. Well, it did before I took it apart to clean it. The firing pin slides in there fine and everything and it just works like it should so far. I've about decided after hearing this on several other forums that I think it was cut too deep from the factory and that's why it's so thin there and they cut through part of it. I'm not 100% sure but it's what others have suggested and it sounds about right to me. I hope it's safe. Everyone I've talked to so far seems to think it is.

Most everyone I've talked to has said it looks cut too deep and that it looks like horrible quality control.

What do you guys think?

bigbulls 03-12-2009 09:39 PM

It's fine. You are right in that it was machined that way from the factory. A lot of bolts in old rim fire rifles are cut like that. Just put it together and go shoot it.

terbzz 03-28-2009 09:04 AM

It looks like to when they cut it they just cut too deep it should be fine.