Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Does such a rifle exist? >

Does such a rifle exist?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Does such a rifle exist?

Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Does such a rifle exist?

Savage also has a reputation for being accurate out of the box.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

savages are excelent and you cant go wrong but the remingtons just feel better
Old 03-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 59f100292

well I'd have to put a limit on the package at 800 or so but not objecting to any thing used. Meeting this criteria, what is the most accurate rifle out of the box in say the .270 .280 30-06 .308 range? Im talking best accuracy for the money. If a $500 gun is just a hair less accurate than an $800gun, idrather make the compromise for the cheaper one.

Whats the best rifle for your money in this case?
Not many will give you a accuracy guarantee but if you go on reputation they will all be about the same more or less. Savage does have a good reputation and would be in your price range. What you should do is go to a gun shop and feel a lot of different rifle and see whick is best on your shoulder. The most accurate gun won't shoot didly if it doesn't feel right.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:58 AM

So heres what I found when I looked at what you folks have recommended:

Ruger M77 Standard $803
Savage 11GCNS $659
Remington 700 BDL $927
Browning A-Bolt hunter field $899
Winchester 70 featherweight $799
Kimber 84M classic $1114
Sako 85 hunter $1626
T/C Icon ~ $800
Tikka T3 hunter $675
Vanguard Sporter $685

No one recomended the weatherby vanguard but I looked any way - Any one know the safety configuration on this? Same question about the T3.

All those prices are MSRP but I couldnt find one for the T/C but from what I hear they go for 800ish

From these prices with accuracy as a priority, which would you buy? I buy for Function not form. Which is the best shooter for the money?

Based on this the savage and Tikka seem most in my price range. Kimber and Sako would never be in my price range unless I find someones used sako truck gun which I doubt exists.

Whats the advice from here? Any suggestions not listed?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

Here's my recommendation to help you get a lotmore gun for your money -- be patient and look for a used one. I have never lost money on a used gun purchase -- can't say that on a new guns, however. I know to never say never, so it is very unlikely that I will ever buy another new gun at new gun prices.

My experience is that most used guns for sale have hardly been used, and if you're patient and look diligently, you'll eventually find what you're looking for without making too many sacrifices. Usually with a little elbow grease and an hour of you time, you can make a used gun look a whole lot better....

I saw a 700 BDL .30-06 at Gander Mountain yesterday, like new not a scratch in the stock or metal, for $625, and it had a perfectly fit Pachmayer Decellerator pad, not the factory plastic butt. It also had leupold rings and bases. Brand new that gun is around $825 at Gander Mountain, but they are usually a little high on new and used guns....

Look in newspapers, discussion forums, gunbroker.com, etc...I just purchased an 870 Wingmaster from a gentleman on this forum, about an hour away. It was a good deal, and I made a friend to boot.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

So heres what I found when I looked at what you folks have recommended:

Ruger M77 Standard $803
Savage 11GCNS $659
Remington 700 BDL $927
Browning A-Bolt hunter field $899
Winchester 70 featherweight $799
Kimber 84M classic $1114
Sako 85 hunter $1626
T/C Icon ~ $800
Tikka T3 hunter $675
Vanguard Sporter $685

No one recomended the weatherby vanguard but I looked any way - Any one know the safety configuration on this? Same question about the T3.

All those prices are MSRP but I couldnt find one for the T/C but from what I hear they go for 800ish

From these prices with accuracy as a priority, which would you buy? I buy for Function not form. Which is the best shooter for the money?

Based on this the savage and Tikka seem most in my price range. Kimber and Sako would never be in my price range unless I find someones used sako truck gun which I doubt exists.

Whats the advice from here? Any suggestions not listed?
MSRP is always a lot higher then the actual price the Ruger for instance should be somewhere in the range of $550 and others so on.

I wanted to recommend the Vanguard because I love mine and its very accuratebut it only has a two position safety and has to be in the fire position to work the bolt. But as you can see she is a beauty.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 PM

Is that a new weatherby? Are they all made with that safety? Had a rem721 misfire when closing the bolt to unload - hence the requirement for a hinged floor/clip and safety that will allow working the action in safe mode. To this day don't know what happened with that rem
Old 03-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: wolverine72

Here's my recommendation to help you get a lotmore gun for your money -- be patient and look for a used one. I have never lost money on a used gun purchase -- can't say that on a new guns, however. I know to never say never, so it is very unlikely that I will ever buy another new gun at new gun prices.

My experience is that most used guns for sale have hardly been used, and if you're patient and look diligently, you'll eventually find what you're looking for without making too many sacrifices. Usually with a little elbow grease and an hour of you time, you can make a used gun look a whole lot better....

I saw a 700 BDL .30-06 at Gander Mountain yesterday, like new not a scratch in the stock or metal, for $625, and it had a perfectly fit Pachmayer Decellerator pad, not the factory plastic butt. It also had leupold rings and bases. Brand new that gun is around $825 at Gander Mountain, but they are usually a little high on new and used guns....

Look in newspapers, discussion forums, gunbroker.com, etc...I just purchased an 870 Wingmaster from a gentleman on this forum, about an hour away. It was a good deal, and I made a friend to boot.
+ 1!

If these are reallyyour criteria:

Im shopping for a new rifle with a few criteria: (bolt gun)
Wood stock - period
Hinged floor plate or removable mag
safety which allows you to work the action in "safe" mode
and...

actually to be more realistic I should probobly limit that budget to something more like 600$
... then buying used is the best way to go. Finding a new model with a wood stock for $600 would be a real coup.

"Accuracy out of the box" sounds like a great concept, but it has to be reconciled with that other maxim, "each rifle is a law unto itself".So, you may find a crappy Remington 710 that functions flawlessly & shoots bughole groups, and, conversely, you could also come across an brand new Sako that misfeeds, misfires, or shoots patterns rather than groups. This applies to both new AND used rifles. So, howdo youknow that therifle you're buying will shoot well?

If you look at many of the forums/auctions, you can find a gun in your price range, & then contact the seller to see if they'll show you pictures of groups to show how well that particular rifle shoots, and/or with what loads. I'd recommend fondling several new rifles, to see which brands/models seem to "fit" you best. Then you can go online & start looking for those models.

Also, what exactly do you want to do with this rifle? Punch paper? Shoot varmints? Hunt deer? Hunt bigger things than deer? Carry it all day, or shoot it froma bench? That may help direct feedback for you.

And, are you looking to buy a rifle AND a scope for that $600? If you're planning on woods hunting with shots < 75 yards or so, then you can probably get by with iron sights. Otherwise, serviceable scopes start around $125, and go up quickly from there.

FC
Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'm partial to Savage.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Just found out that new for 2009 marlin has the XL7w a walnut version of the xl7. Any one have any information on this? hows it shoot for accuracy?

Quick Reply: Does such a rifle exist?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.