HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   New rifle coming! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/288618-new-rifle-coming.html)

driftrider 03-07-2009 11:59 AM

New rifle coming!

Ok, so I decided on a new rifle. I was considering a long range setup in 7mm RUM like a Sendero, but reconsidered since the likelihood I'd ever need that much gun is probably low, and I still have a .30-06 if some generous individual decided to drop and all-expense-paid elk hunt in my lap! ;)

So the gun is the Remington 700 LSS in 257 Weatherby Mag. It's the full length version with the grey/black laminate stock and 26" magnum contour bbl, not the Mountain LSS with the brown laminate and short pencil-thin mountain bbl. It's got the X-Mark Pro trigger, which I'm not sure is a blessing or a curse, but if it sucks and I can't get it adjusted where I like, Rifle Basix makes a hunting weight drop-in trigger. I chose the .257 Wby because the cartridge is different, it's flat shooting and it'll smack the crap out of deer. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for elk at under 200 yards with a bullet like the 115 grain TSX, but I'd probably just use my .30-06 to be on the safe side. I'll handload so the cost of ammo won't be outrageous and I'll be able to load premium bullets. Overall, it's a very nice looking rifle (much prettier than my Savage), and hopefully it'll be a shooter.

I'm going to put a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 scope on it, probably in Warne or Burris Signature rings and bases.

I bought it NIB from a dealer on Gunbroker, so I should have it and the scope hopefully by next weekend. I can't wait!

Mike

VAhuntr 03-07-2009 05:09 PM

RE: New rifle coming!

I almost picked up a LSS in .270 last year but got a better deal on a CDL. IMO the LSS is one fine looking rifle.

driftrider 03-07-2009 06:14 PM

I've always had a thing for stainless and laminated stocks. I love real walnut too, but it doesn't take much to garf up a really nice walnut stock, and moisture is a major issue. Laminate is nice to look at (IMO), it has all the "warmth" of a walnut stock, but has nearly the same stability and durability of a synthetic. There are very few synthetic stocks that I find pleasing to look at. I like the laminate Mountain LSS, but I'm not thrilled about the very thin (read whippy) contour barrels they have. I'm sure that it'd be nice to carry all day in the mountains of Utah or Colorado, but I like a little more mass in a rifle for accurate shooting.

Mike

newton29 03-07-2009 07:52 PM

Beautiful rifle. I bought a 700 Mountain LSS in 30-06. Nice to carry, but the worst 100 yard group of my 5 deer rifles (another 30-06, a 270, and 2 30-30). I don't know if it's the thin barrel or I just got a dud.

rimjob_rob 03-07-2009 08:47 PM

I like the choice of the 257 Wby. I am pretty sure I would get one for deer hunting too if I reloaded. Maybe someday I will start, and then get the 257. Ballistics on that thing look sweet.

Pawildman 03-08-2009 07:26 AM

Ditto on the Rifle Basix.....nice triggers. All in all, I'd say good choice. I agree that a nice piece of pretty walnut is awesome, but the laminate has a tendency to be a little less weather sensitive. Just make sure it's well sealed up like you would for a walnut stock to keep water out.....barrel & receiver channels, mag box, recoil lug cut, etc.....

3000fps 03-08-2009 03:09 PM

driftrider I got the CDL-SF in the 257 Weatherby I'm like you it was diff and has great ballistics.Ive only shot mine a few times and clean after every shot,dont have a scope yet.It has a real loud crack to it I think it will be a deer killing machine though I think you made a great choice