HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   stock refinishing pt 2..9422 update..PICS! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/288544-stock-refinishing-pt-2-9422-update-pics.html)

mauser06 03-06-2009 01:27 PM

stock refinishing pt 2..9422 update..PICS!

well, the 9422 project is complete!!! could use another coat or 2 to completely fill the grain, but my buddy is getting impatient and im running on a tight schedule...for the most part its completely sealed...just a few deep grains that arent filled completely...

i wish i took pics of the rifle before i touched it...but i just initially planned to clean it...not refinish it...i couldnt do a whole lot for the metal except take it apart and get the crud off and then oiled it heavy for a day and hit it with super fine steel wool...got the surface rust off, but its pitted and not much bluing left...

keep in mind the rifle is 38 years old according to my buddy...says he got it when he was 12...says he got atleast 1 million shells through it....now that hes older he uses it to coon hunt(ROUGH on coon hunting rifles..) and throws it in and out of the trucks and tractors all the time...it sees a TON of use...not buring bricks of shells like he used to, but still a heavily used rifle...

heres a few pics of the stock before i touched them...

and here are a couple pics of the rifle after i was finished with it all...

i was pleasantly surprised that the stock wasnt really beat up...the old finish took the brunt of the abuse...a few dings and scratches i couldnt get out...but most of it was the old finish and surface stuff...i didnt sand it very much at all...just enough to take a layer of wood off...

going to give it back to my buddy in an hour or so...i think he will be happy...he didnt really care if i refinished it or not...but i think he will like it alot...

you can see how rough the metal and scope and such are...that rifle been through alot...but i am confident he will get another 40 years from it...i was very surprised the action and barrel werent that bad after cleaning...

i really liked the satin spar urethane spray i used...i think it has a real nice look to it and was super easy to use...not too glossy and has a nice look IMO...i didnt stain it or anything prior to the urethane...thought about it, but after i got the wood bare i knew i was working with nice walnut that would have a great color with just the urethane on it...

thanx for all the help guys....

Pawildman 03-06-2009 02:19 PM

RE: stock refinishing pt 2..9422 update..PICS!

Sure looks a lot different finished....I'm sure your buddy will be pleased with it. The urethane and you did a veryrespectable job. Congrats!!

mauser06 03-06-2009 07:44 PM

RE: stock refinishing pt 2..9422 update..PICS!

thanx wildman...thats only the 2nd stock ive ever done..i really enjoy working with guns and wood working...far from a master at either...but the best way to learn is keep at it...im pleased with it...if i had more time i could spent it completely filling the grain...but spring break is running out...and its minimal...ive seen worse turned out by gunsmiths...i just like to completely fill the grain...

if things go how they aughta and im not working for a couple months next winter, i might buy me a few ole clunkers to work on...can pick up old winchesters and stuff like that that just need some TLC like that one did and turn it into a good looking functionable piece of history...

my buddy was thrilled...couldnt believe it was the same stock...he was real happy with it...and how much smoother the action got..lol...now we just gotta shot it...accuracy before was so so...wasnt bad for what it was and the condition...that old weaver just may be as old as the rifle...i have no idea...but with any luck it'll shoot better...40 years of grime out of it, it aughta shoot better