Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Which Scope? >

Which Scope?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Scope?

Old 03-06-2009, 08:00 AM

Default RE: Which Scope?

Regarding scopes and crosswinds, Any of you guys heard about the wind meter that this guy downloaded on his I phone? Crazy !
They say it actually works. I think he paid 3 bucks for it.
Rob
Old 03-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

I got the Leupold VX III 4.5-14x40 in matte finishwith ring and bases for $570.00 today
Old 03-07-2009, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I was going to spend that much on a scope I would look into the "best of the west" site and check out their scopes. I was talking to them down at the Eastern Sports Show las month and for $1600 you send them your rifle and ammo and they will set up a their quality scope with a ballistically matched turret so you can shoot out to 1000 yds holding dead on.
Not quite,you still need to compensate for windage,which can be a huge factor at longer distances.

As for their scopes,I would much rather have a Conquest than a Huskemaw.

As for this poll,for big game hunting,I would choose a scope with a maximum of 10x.

Regarding scopes and crosswinds, Any of you guys heard about the wind meter that this guy downloaded on his I phone? Crazy !
Of course you still need to know the direction and speed all the way to the target,not just at the place that you are shooting from.The wind speed and direction can change significantly within even 500 yards.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:50 PM
Fork Horn

Nice pick, but did you get the VXIII or the VX3? If it is the VX3 with the rings and bases, you got a pretty darn good deal. That is what my VX3 cost me alone, and I think I paid $80 for my rings and bases..
Old 03-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Fork Horn

It works off the sound of the wind. It's more for recreational use and good for approximate wind speeds. It’s better than guessing but, not as good as something like a Skymaster wind meter, etc.

The I-Phone application for the ballistic calculator is well worth the $10.00 I paid for it. It downloads weather information or you can enter in data if you have a wind meter. It additionally works as an inclinometer, compares up to eight different loads and graphs them, keeps range logs, and has a library of over 1,500 projectiles and 1,200 factory loads specs, etc.

You got a good deal on that scope, ring, and base combination.