Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 40 S&W or 45 ACP? >

40 S&W or 45 ACP?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

40 S&W or 45 ACP?

Old 03-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 40 S&W or 45 ACP?

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Having both, I actually prefer the 40. A lot of agencies are going this route. More power than the 9mm and less recoil than the 45. Normally higher capacity. Ample disabling power.
Having both as well, I actually find the recoil of the .40 S&W tobe shaper andsnappier(still very manageable though)thana .45 ACP of similar size/weight.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default old

removed by RD

Last edited by Ron Duval; 01-17-2010 at 11:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

the 45 acp has 100 years of combat experience under its belt...it is a proven round...the 40 cal was a stop gap measure thought up by the brilliant minds at the fbi...they adopted the 10mm as their duty side arm and the female and smaller handed male agents couldnt control the recoil, so the fbi armorers cut the round down and thus the 40 was born...it is perhaps the most perfect example of mediocracy that ever existed...
That's funny right there. Mediocracy huh?I knowI wouldn't wantto get shot with a 40 caliber slug. Regardless of how or why the 40 was created it is a darn fine cartridge that nearly any one can shoot and learn to shoot well. In my opinion it offers a perfect ballance of fire power, shootability, magazine capacity, and over all size of the firearms it is chambered in.

As far as the price of ammogoes,the 40 falls right betweent he 9mm and 45. A couple $ more than the 9 and a couple $ less than the 45 for the same brand and type of ammo.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Something to consider if you're going to be carrying it.The weight difference.For a long time I carried my Glock M-27 ,very comfortable to carry. I wanted to get a 45 ACP for a carry gun.I've always been a 45 fan.The little S&W 40 cal isn't any slouch either.

WellI got another Glock,this timea M-30. Very little difference size wise.Weight became an issue for me.With the 10 rnd mag fully loaded and one chambered it's just to heavy a gun to carry.I was constantly pulling my pants up.So my new 45ACP carry gun is now in the safe and the little G-27 came backout of retirement.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think both are great rounds. I prefer the .45, but it's my personal opinion. One of the reasons- like someone else said, the recoil from the .45 for me feels more like a "push"- I can control it easily. The recoil from a the .40 pistols I've shot has been very "snappy", with the barrel jerking to the sky quickly- more uncomfortable to shoot IMO and follow-up shots are slower for me. But both are great for personal protection- best to get out there and shoot both and see which one you like....