Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Ziess Conquest >

Ziess Conquest

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ziess Conquest

Old 03-02-2009, 05:27 AM
DM

Default RE: Ziess Conquest

For the most part i'm a Leupold guy, but this last time around i bought a Zeiss,

Looks like the next one will be a Zeiss too...

I'm alsoof the opinionthat when it comes to hunting, if you can'thit it with 9 or 10X, you shouldn't be shooting at it!

DM
Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1 DM regarding the 9-10 X.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 4.5x14x44mm Conquest. I can say that there is no distortion with this scope like you can get on the higher power scopes. It's very clear and well made. They hold their zero and the cross hairs are etched in glass and not wire. They used to be a great value not so long ago. They are still the best value but have gone up in price the last few years. I paid $650.00 for mine a about 1 1/2 years ago and now that same scope goes for $800.00

My best buddy has one in the 3x10x44. Both are nice but I'll be putting another4.5x14 on my Sako once it'sfinished being re-barreled.

Nothing wrong with the 10X but I'll take the extra 4X on the top side.Many fixed powerscopes for fast target acquisition are 4 power so, you're only 1/2X over that on the low end. With any fixed power scope I always keep them on the low setting and crank them up only when needed. Not much weight difference between the 10X and 14X models (1 oz).
Old 03-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Many fixed powerscopes for fast target acquisition are 4 power so, you're only 1/2X over that on the low end.
Many fixed power general purpose scopes are 4x,but most that are specifically made for quick shooting are in the 2.5x range,the 2.5x leupold being a good example.There are some 4x scopes made to mount on tactical rifles,but many of them are red dot type sights,rather than scopes with crosshairs.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

how important is adjustable objective on a hunting scope
Old 03-03-2009, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 3000fps

how important is adjustable objective on a hunting scope
JMO but AO isnot necessary for big game hunting.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

does it help in anyway have AO
Old 03-04-2009, 04:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

AO is great for target shooting or varmint shooting,but it can actually be a distraction while big game hunting.You could actually lose a shot opportunity by taking the time to adjust the parallax.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Many fixed power general purpose scopes are 4x,but most that are specifically made for quick shooting are in the 2.5x range,the 2.5x leupold being a good example.There are some 4x scopes made to mount on tactical rifles,but many of them are red dot type sights,rather than scopes with crosshairs.
The 2.5X scopes are more for guys hunting very large and dangerous game at very close ranges found mostly in Africa. Open sights still are the norm there but, someone wanting a piece of glass would use something like these. The fixed 4X would be more common in North America for a faster gun.A power of 4.5X is fine for even close range, large game and again only 1/2X more than a 4x fixed power scope.

The Zeiss 4.5X14 has a parallax adjustment that does not need to be used. You can set it to the infinity (00) setting and it works like any other non adjustable parallax scope. The parallax can be adjusted if you wish, which is more of a fine tune adjustment.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 3000fps

i dont have the best eyes i just think the 14 X might help
I have 4 Conquest 4.5-14 scopes and love them. I own scopes by Leupold, Swarovski, and Zeiss and was told that the 4.5-14 was too much scope for hunting, but they are actually one of my favorites.

As far as holding zero, I have a Conquest 4.5-14 on my Ultimate Firearms BP Xpress and have shot multiple shots with a powder charge of 250 grs of Pyrodex, and the scope has held zero perfectly.

Everyone has opinions about optics, but you should get what suits your eyes and needs.

Quick Reply: Ziess Conquest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.