Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Importance of Barrel Length >

Importance of Barrel Length

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Importance of Barrel Length

Old 02-18-2009, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default Importance of Barrel Length

I was wondering what you guys thought the importance in accuracy is with barrel length in semi-auto handguns. Just trying to decide on what I want and if I should take barrel length into consideration. Thanks!
Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Importance of Barrel Length

I don't think that barrel length has anything to do with the intrinsic accuracy of the pistol, but it can certainly effect the practical accuracy. What I mean is that two similar guns, say a Springfield XD Service (4"bbl) vs the XD Compact (3"bbl), that are made to similar tolerances would likely show similar levels of accuracy when shot from a machine rest under controlled conditions. However, the 4" service model has a longer bbl and therefore a longer slide, which increases the mass (and inertia) making the pistol easier to hold steady, and will have a longer sight radius making it easier to aim precisely. Overall, the longer the barrel and sight radius, the easier the pistol will be to shoot accurately. Of course, there is a point where more barrel becomes a problem because the pistol becomes front heavy and doesn't point naturally, but this usually isn't a problem with any but the biggest revolvers.

Mike

Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM

Default RE: Importance of Barrel Length

i just got s springfield XD in 45acp 4in love it very pleased with the accuracy the longer barrel has a longer sight plan which makes it faster to sight and i feel makes it more accurate to shoot freehand.