Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning vs. Thompson Center >

Browning vs. Thompson Center

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning vs. Thompson Center

Old 02-14-2009, 08:10 AM

Default Browning vs. Thompson Center

browning or tc?
its hard to decide because i looked at a TC Icon the other day in long action synthetic stainless and its hard to decide whether a browning x-bolt stainless or thompson center icon ws would be best btw i am looking for both in a .300 win mag
also does anyone have groups printed from any of these rifles?
Old 02-14-2009, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Browning vs. Thompson Center

I've looked at and handled a TC Icon and am dumb founded as to how you could be deciding between the two.

Tom
Old 02-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

I handled both last week and was impressed by the Icon,Id pick the Icon over the X bolt,I prefer the A bolt over the X bolt
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I looked at an Icon about one month ago. It was nice enough, but I'd take a Browning over it.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:55 AM
Spike

I have a TC Icon in 300 WM and it is a great rifle. The fit and finish is great and it shoots MOA with whatever I feed it. However, They are a little on the heavy side. If you are looking for a rifle to carry all day long in the woods, I would go with X-Bolt. I use mine to hunt clear-cuts, fields and powerlines.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I handled a Browning X-Bolt this afternoon at Gander Mtn. I am pretty impressed with how the rifle feels. I like it a whole lot better than the A-Bolt. I'm not really fond of the synthetic stock but the wood version felt pretty good. I don't have any experience with the Icon but I would not mind giving a X-Bolt a work out.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not too familiar with the newer xbolt, but my BAR and Abolt IMO are no comparison to any TC.

Both shoot great.

the abolt is a .300 win mag. 1-1.5" groups, which I'm pretty sure I can improve on.
my .270 win BAR shoots far sub MOA...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I don't have as much experience with the TC Icon, I DO have a lot of experience with Browning A-bolts, and some with X-bolts lately. I would grab the X-bolt and RUN while gripping it tightly. The TC would be my choice if there was no such thing as A-bolt/X-bolt.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Handled both. The Icon has alot of hype as a greatly designed bolt action rifleby TC.

Browning has alot of heritage with the A-Bolt. Lots of satisfied customers and lots of experience with gunsmiths.

Ive handled both. I wasnt that impressed with the TC by feel in my hands. The wood was nice, but the bolt handle is TOO small. I do like the looks of the synthetic stainless model though with the larger bolt handle. Made in the USA too supposidly.

Browning. A standard in alot of hunters minds. The A-Bolt is a good gun...A-Bolt Medallion is a beauty...almost too pretty to hunt with...Made in Japan. I dont own one, butI have looked alot.

Me personally. I view a rifle as a Tool. Its nice to have a show piece, but 90% of the guys i hunt with have the nice rifle in the safe, and their go to gun is the old blued gun with the beat up stock.

Im more of the synthetic & stainless lover on my rifles....They look nice and are easy to use in the nasty weather hunts.

I dont think you can go wrong with either. Icon boasts sub moa groups. Clean and maintain em they will last forever.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

A nice feature of the Icon is you have 3 choices as regards the bolt handle so that shouldn't be an issue.I like the fact that it comes with a test target and is guaranteed to shoot sub moa.I still haven't actually seen one in person but the review I read was very positive.

Quick Reply: Browning vs. Thompson Center

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.