Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Browning X-Bolt >

Browning X-Bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning X-Bolt

Old 03-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning X-Bolt

Dirftrider

The cheapest Remington Model 700LSS new I can find is over $800.00. I can buy the new X-Bolt with the high grade ingraved Medallion version for that.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I paid $759 for mine from a dealer on gunbroker.

Mike

Old 03-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Yea so that is about the same price as the higher grade X-Bolt Medallion. I got the Browning A-Boltand you just wont find a gun at that price range with that kind of accuracy. I have seen the X-bolt twice. I like the new look although I dontlike the plastic clip. I do like the lines of the gun and the over all appearance. They did some trigger work on them and their triggers are now supost to be crisper than the A-bolt. I liked the triggger on the newer A-Bolts so I was serprised when they did work on that. I can't wait to see how crisp the new X-Bolt triggers are. If you are looking for a good gun the price of the A-Bolts have now droped and this would be a great time to pick one up.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The A-Bolts are good guns, and the X-Bolts appear to be as well. I've handled an X-Bolt hunter at my local Scheel's, but I wasn't able to examine the trigger or the new magazine (trigger locks and the mags are removed from rack rifles). I'm not real fond of the wrap-around magazine well on the bottom of the stock. The shape is nice, but the appearance is not so good, IMO. I also think that Browning would be serving shooters better by putting the shadowline on the buttstock on the cheekpiece, not on the side of the stock (more Euro-trash styling creeping into American-market rifles, unfortunately.

I considered Browning for my new rifle purchase, but they didn't offer what I was looking for. I wanted a laminate stock with stainless barreled/action. I wanted a "light" magnum smallbore caliber that had less recoil than a .30-06, but flat enough trajectory to make it a legitimate long range rifle, and it had to have at least a 24" barrel to take advantage of the extra powder. I wanted a internal magazine with a floorplate (because while detachable magazines are great, you're never going to forget your internal box magazine at home or drop it in the woods somewhere). The Browning A-Bolt comes close, but the Remington fit the bill perfectly, and the 257 Wby is a barnburner of a cartridge. I was looking at the 270 WSM, but Browning, for some unknown reason, shortens their WSM barrels to 23" instead of leaving them at the more optimum 24".

Mike
Old 12-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

The plastic mag didn't bother as much as the one for the tikka did... that tikka mag sucked but the gun I head shoots well.

Now the browning mag is much more sturdy then the tikka, its made of a polymer and very tough. I bet I could run over it with my truck and not damage (not going to though) but very very sturdy!

The trigger pull is VERY crisp! I have an a bolt and like it as well but this trigger is set at 3.5 for now and I don't plan to change unless needed.

I also liked the accu-tigger from savage but its fugly! And the browning isn't. Actually the savage wasn't really gona save me much cash compared to the browning... paid 750 for my 243 hunter. Gona try and shoot it tmrw if all gos well. Has a 1-10 twist with a 22'' barrel. Just like the tikka t-3
Old 12-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ordered X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag, I will top it off with a Burris Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM with Illuminated Ballistic Plex Reticle.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you guys heard about the wonderful search applet, it's right at the top of the page. You click on it and type in what your looking for and voila.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Ordered X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .338 Win Mag, I will top it off with a Burris Signature Select 4X-16X 44MM with Illuminated Ballistic Plex Reticle.

I went with a Nikon Monarch III BDC Rifle scope… not sure if that was the best choice but I think is a good choice…
Old 12-20-2009, 11:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

LC,

I'm sure you will be very happy with it..........after all, it's a Nikon Monarch.

Just make sure to get the lowest rings possible, so you can maintain a good cheek weld.

Shoot that BDC reticle at 100, 200 & 300 yards (400,500 later) and once you learn how to use it; makes hold-over obsolete.

Last edited by Sheridan; 12-21-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Spike

have had an x-bolt, 7mm-08, for 2 seasons. 4 shots, 4 deer. farthest 227 yds. (range finder). As I shoot left handed, love the tang safety. Had a Rem. Model 7, 7mm-08, for several yrs. Good gun, but like the x - bolt better. Smooth action. Magazine loads easily, fits snugly. 1.5" 3 shot grp. with factory ammo. Groups improved after a thorough barrel cleaning and first box of shells. Can't imagine a better whitetail caliber than the 7-08.
No regrets.

Quick Reply: Browning X-Bolt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.