Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 carrying handgun while bowhunting >

carrying handgun while bowhunting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

carrying handgun while bowhunting

Old 02-10-2009, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default carrying handgun while bowhunting

who does this? especially if its bow hunting.i just hate the idea of being out in the wilderness with just a bow or something. im not sure if its predators, such as bears, bobcats, whatever, that frighten me, or just the possibility of a crazy person taking his craziness out on me while im all alone hunting, like things that have been seen on the news all the time. i just hate to be in a situation where i cant defend myself. i know carrying is illegal, unless its on private land (i think) but does anyone have an opinion on this? does anyone get a little shook up when they hunt alone with just a bow

im hunting greenridge this year, and if i do use a bow, it just sort of scares me to be out there without some sort of better protection, especially out there where black bears are frequent, or where drunk a** people can get a little crazy. i will not break the law if i go there, because i dont want to do that, but it does scare me. and i dont want to have to carry a shotgun plus my bow. what do you guys use for protection against the unknown while hunting, especially alone. sorry for long post, thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: carrying handgun while bowhunting

I do, and I'm legal in Mich. with my CPL..
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

It is legal here in Indiana and I do it. Just bought a new S&W 442 which will be the one I carry this year.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also carry in Michigan. I carry when I'm bow hunting and rifle hunting.

Tom
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

finally legal here in PA and i carried many days this season...

first year ever bowhunting, first DAY, a guy came running through the woods in the dark screaming his head off ready to fight tellin me that i was in his spot blah blah etc...seriously wanting to duke it out over a hunting spot....im already at the top of the tree settled in waitin on daylight...me being the laid back easy goin nice guy that i am figured whatever, i'll leave...dont wanna tick off landowners or get in a fight over somethin dumb like that...i did make it out without an issue...sent the buddy in who farms the land...he drove his tractor pretty much upto the guys stand and told him what the deal was...he did have permission from the adjacent land owner...permission to park where he did and walk through the fields but not to be in the woods he was in...buddy farms those fields....buddy didnt throw him out or tell him not to come back, but gave him a few of his thoughts...he hasnt been back since....

but that was scary bein in the woods in the dark and having a guy screamin n yellin ready to fight....
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I do not know where you are from or the laws in your jurisdiction. You may want to check to see if there is a legal way to carry during hunting season while you are in the field. If a conservation officer says it is legal, ask them to show you the laws and regulations that make it legal. I can see your concern as wild animals can be very unpredictable. A bear with a cub or a moose with a calf can be very dangerous. IMO, a mountain lion can be one of the most unpredictable (always keep an eye on your backside).
Old 02-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know they just passed this in WY....was banned before last season I think.....imagine elk hunting, and running into a griz with only a bow and a can of mace....though they do say the pepper spray works better....

Old 02-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I carry while bowhunting, but it's mainly for protection from the two legged idiots.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

NH is legal and I carry my Ruger .44mag ~ 10" S.S. barrel ~ Super Red hawk.
I've had two bear, on different hunts, within 25 yards of my tree stand and I never new one of them was there until climbing down.
It scared the ba-jesus out of me!
Also had a pack of 7-10 coyotes forming around me while being two miles in the woods, that's a bad feeling!
Old 02-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Spike

I always carry! Bow or rifle hunting my .38 special is always on my side.

Quick Reply: carrying handgun while bowhunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.